Transcoding and subtitles

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AuthenticM

Transcoding and subtitles

Post by AuthenticM »

Hi,

I've been having an issue for several releases. It's still the case with 6.7.1.

Basically, UMS cannot transcode a file and display subtitles at the same time.

I boot the app on my PS4, go where the file is on my laptop and select the "transcode" directory. I then get multiple options, such as transcoding the file with FFmpeg, transcoding the file with FFmpeg and display subtitles (it's a .mkv file containing subtitles), a second (but different) option to transcode the file and display subtitles, and the same three options for MEncoder. There's also the "no transcoding" option.

The only three options that work are "no transcoding" (though the PS4 cannot play the audio in this scenario, so I don't choose it), transcode with FFmpeg sans subtitles, and transcode with MEncoder sans subtitles. The options for transcoding with subtitles lead the PS4 to display "cannot read file".
Last edited by AuthenticM on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sami32

Re: Transcoding and subtitles

Post by Sami32 »

Hi,

did the UMS 6.5.3 version solve your issue ?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimed ... g/download

This subtitle issue was introduced after that version and need to be fixed.
AuthenticM

Re: Transcoding and subtitles

Post by AuthenticM »

It does the same thing, sadly. Although this time the option "MEncoder" (sans subtitles) did not work. Though maybe it also didn't work previously and I simply forget. But there aren't any option with subtitles that work.