[Resolved] How to get MKV files with DTS sound to play

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
abekl

[Resolved] How to get MKV files with DTS sound to play

Post by abekl »

I'm using UMS 2.65 and 3.0 Alpha1 on a Windows 8 system. I have many MKV files (movies) with audio encoded in DTS that I'd like to play on my TV using DLNA. My Panasonic Smart TV does not support DTS audio. It only supports MP3, AAC, and AC-3 audio.

Can someone explain to me in a straightforward, step-by-step manner, how to get UMS to transcode the DTS audio to one of the formats my TV will accept on the fly as the media is playing. I understand it has something to do with ffdshow and a configuration file, but I can't find any complete logical instructions anywhere.

Help with this will be most sincerely appreciated. It's the last hurdle between me and enjoying my collection wirelessly.

Regards,

Abe
ExSport

Re: How to get MKV files with DTS sound to play properly

Post by ExSport »

Untick DTS support in GUI. Then DTS should be transcoded to AC3 or when LPCM is ticked to PCM.
It should work for files which are transcoded. Check TRANSCODE folder.
abekl

Post by abekl »

I'm not seeing that setting anywhere in the UI. Be more specific please.
emutt

Post by emutt »

Under Transcode Settings tab;
- select Common Transcode Settings on the left panel..
- select the AUDIO SETTINGS tab in the middle of the blue area with three tabs (vid,audio,subtitles) settings
- make sure the Keep DTS... is UNselected.
abekl

Post by abekl »

OK, all is good now. DTS was already unchecked, so that wasn't the problem. The issue, it turns out, was the fact that my receiver didn't have Audio Return Channel (ARC) support, so no sound was making it back out. I bought a new receiver with ARC support, and now everything plays properly.