[PS4 Pro] Videos starting at the end; pauzing causes "crashes"

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Henduluin

[PS4 Pro] Videos starting at the end; pauzing causes "crashes"

Post by Henduluin »

Greetings,

I have been using UMS for many years (even before it forked off) and have always had a great experience. However, something in the last month or two has changed which is causing issues, and I cannot figure out what. Maybe someone here can help.

I stream solely to my PS4 Pro. If I don't transcode, the video files run fine. But when I do, 3 out of 4 videos start near the end and I have to manually rewind the video. This is a nuisance for obvious reasons, but since the PS4 Pro's Media Player is... iffy, it usually means I miss out on the first few seconds of the video as well, since for some forsaken reason it's almost impossible to fully rewind to the start of the video. I really miss the PS3 media player in that sense.

Anyhow, aside from that problem, which started about 2 months ago or so, over the last few weeks another issue started showing up: Whenever I try to resume a paused transcoded video, it crashes and gives me a "this file is not supported" error. Yet if I try to resume the video, it continues exactly where it left off.

I have tried various settings in both the most recent stable release (6.7.4) and the RC1 for version 7, but the problems are present in both. Anyone has any ideas on what might be causing these issues? Might it be something on the PS4 end of things?

Many thanks in advance.
Nadahar

Re: [PS4 Pro] Videos starting at the end; pauzing causes "crashes"

Post by Nadahar »

I don't have a PS4, but I assume they're as eager to force updates to it as they are for the PS3. Some of those updates could very well break stuff, as we've seen before.

That said, there's plenty of possibilities for UMS to f. up as well. Please post debug files as described in red above, preferrably from the latest stable so we can look at what happens.
Henduluin

Post by Henduluin »

I am unsure how I managed to miss the big red box. Sorry about that.

I'll enable logging and get back to you when I have a log for you, probably around this time tomorrow.
Henduluin

Post by Henduluin »

There you go, I've attached the zip with debugs from my most recent session.

I didn't experience the bug that causes videos to start near the end, but I did experience the pause bug several times. Hopefully the logs will help.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(238.74 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There are some errors in your log, but it's not obvious to me exactly why some of them happens. There's one very "interesting" problem though, and that is this:

Code: Select all

java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: cp932
What that means is that your Java installation doesn't support codepage 932, but this is the codepage reported to be in use by your Windows installation. When UMS interacts with the OS via the command line, it needs to use the same code page as the OS. Although I can't say for sure, this might be the cause for all your errors, as they are all related to command line commands done by UMS.

I'm not sure how to solve it, because I don't know much about all the different versions of Japanese encoding. There's an article here about the problem, but it doesn't really make me any wiser. According to this code page 932 should be available as a standard part of Java 8. I don't quite understand the problem, but it might be that we need to manually "translate" "cp932" into another name for Java to recognize it. That is strange though, because the code pages are recognized simply by prefixing the code with "cp".

I'm currently not quite sure how to figure this out.
Henduluin

Post by Henduluin »

Odd. I've been on Japanese locale for literally as long as I can recall and never had any issues. Guess I could try switching to english for a while and see what happens?

At any rate, thanks for looking into this.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The issues is that Java doesn't "understand" "cp932" - as it does with every other Windows codepage I've tested. I've looked into this a bit, and it turns out that to satisfy Java you have to ask for "MS932" in this particular case. It must be a bug in Java, but in either case I've made a modification that will try both prefixes.

I've uploaded it here. Please test it and see what happens/generate a new log. It's a bit of a long-shot to think this fixes the other problems, I don't really think it will, but it should at least get rid of one problem.
Henduluin

Post by Henduluin »

Ah, fantastic. Will try it out as soon as I get the chance to. Might be a few days however.
Will keep you posted.
Henduluin

Post by Henduluin »

Update time:

Watched 2 videos this afternoon without issues, but when I watched a show just now, pausing caused it crash again. At least none of the videos jumped ahead, so that's a good start I think.

I attached the most recent log with the crash.

*edit*

Scratch that. Just watched another show, this one started nearly at the end. Added log to the post.
Attachments
ums_dbg2.zip
(133.14 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
ums_dbg.zip
(146.13 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The more I thought about it the less likely I thought it were that the two issues were related. It seems the that character encoding issue is gone though, as I see no more error about that.

I'm really not sure what goes wrong with your transcoding. Your hardware seems more than up to the task, but it seems that something is interrupting the transcoding. Could it be any antivirus software or some other software you have running that puts their noses where they don't belong, making the process too slow?

There's also the possibility that the PS4 is making trouble. I don't know what's the problem with the PS4, but it feels like there's always been issues between UMS and the PS4. You could try to disable IPv6 on your local network to see if that makes a difference, as far as I can remember we've had issues with that in the past. UMS doesn't support IPv6, so if the PS4 tries to contact UMS via IPv6 it won't get an answer. There has also been some discussion about that the PS4 might change it's IP address quite frequently if configured to use DHCP, which might cause problems.

These are all "long shots" though, I don't have a PS4 so there's really now way for me to really study what's going on.

I always feel bad when I have to resort to such "generic" suggestions, but I don't have any concrete idea.