UMS dissapeared from TV

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
turbo78

UMS dissapeared from TV

Post by turbo78 »

Hi!

I have Panasonic Plasma 50ST and I use UMS happily for several years now.

Yesterday I noticed that when i select UMS on my TV it says Can not connect to server.

Today I have downloaded the newest version, did a Clean install, and configured everything like I did before, now I can not even see UMS on server list on my TV.

I also have Foobar as a server, and it works, that is why I am afraid something is happened to UMS.

I have not installed or done anything to system or network that may be influencing the work of UMS.

Here I attach all the logs I have.

Launched UMS as administrator, then turned on TV, go to servers list, I see only Foobar. exited server list screen, then entered it again, and then shut down the TV.

BTW on UMS Status screen appears Foobar and TV and it looks like everything is fine.
Attachments
ums_dbgTURBO.zip
(33.34 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
turbo78

Re: UMS dissapeared from TV

Post by turbo78 »

To partly answer my question...

I figured out that if I torn off Windows Firewall the server reappears on my TV.

Now I have to somehow allow to TV to communicate with UMS, but I have no luck with this...

I use win 10 pro 64bit if someone can help me out with this.

I have created rules to allow all the connections to UMS.exe in the INBOUND and also the OUTBOND section.

I have created rules fro TCP and UDP port 5001 also in inbound and outbound sections too.

But there is no connection.

I can use UMS only if I fully turn off windows firewall.

I have no other firewall programs installed, and have no problems with thi either untill yesterday.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Since UMS isn't a "native" application, it runs as (from the OS' POV) java.exe or javaw.exe. You need to open incoming access to one of these, probably javaw.exe (look in your task manager while UMS is running). Outgoing access should be fine as it is by default. In addition to TCP port 5001 (and 9001 if you want to use the web interface), you also need to open port 1900 for both UDP and TCP. I think port 1900 is predefined as SSDP (Simple Service Discovery Protocol) in Windows' firewall.

SSDP is used for discovery (e.g UMS and the TV "finding" each other), while 5001 is used for the actual transfer of content. If SSDP is working but 5001 isn't, you'll likely be able to find UMS but not to browse or play anything, but if SSDP is blocked as well you won't even find it.

I suspect that some of Microsoft's "security updates" changes these settings, and disabling Windows "home group" migh also close SSDP. The installation of updates and/or configuration changes are thus the likely reason it stopped working. The Java installer itself will open all incoming access to all Java programs by default, so simply reinstalling Java often "solves" the problem. Taking control of the firewall rules yourself is better as I see it.
turbo78

Post by turbo78 »

Tried to reinstall Java, no luck

SSDP is running

Tried to add rule for port 1900, no luck

Tried to add rule for javaw.exe, no luck

If I disable the win firewall everything works fine, if I enable the firewall there is no UMS on TV.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know how much you know about firewalls, but you might need to read a bit about how to configure it.

You need to open several ports to javaw.exe (and it must be the correct javaw.exe, the one actually used by your Java installation). As listed above, you need to open incoming access to the relevant javaw.exe for the following ports:
  • TCP port 5001 (assuming you use the default port in your UMS configuration)
  • TCP port 9001 if you want the web interface to work from outside the UMS computer
  • UDP and TCP port 1900
Whether or not Windows' SSDP service is running is irrelevant, I was just thinking that if you somehow disabled/uninstalled it Windows might change the firewall rules to disallow port 1900 - but that's just my guess for a possible cause. UMS doesn't care if that service exists or runs, as long as port 1900 is open for both UDP and TCP.