Slow Browsing and Playback Issues

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mrspaceman

Slow Browsing and Playback Issues

Post by mrspaceman »

Hi, everyone! I'm having a few issues getting things together with UMS and my Vizio M-Series. Great program, by the way. Here are the problems and the things I've noticed:

Browsing and starting playback are very slow once I'm in a folder with a video file in it. UMS says it's serving video files, sequentially, presumably so that it can serve info like duration. But the info fields always populate with a dash, no actual info, and it takes about thirty seconds per file. If I attempt to play a file, it has to finish getting info for the previous file first, and then it takes another minute or two to start playing. I don't care about the info at all, so I'd be happy to just disable that altogether if I could. I changed MediaInfo to false, but that changed nothing.

.mkv playback usually starts near the end of a file, no matter how long it is. I can just seek to the start of the file, after which things work like a peach, but obviously this is less than ideal. I'll test for this with .mp4 also.

Lastly, the program doesn't seem to take full advantage of my hardware. I don't know that this is the cause of any problems, but I suppose it could always be faster. I've seen it use anywhere from 30% to 50% of my CPU, according to Task Manager. I've enabled multithreading and fiddled with all the settings (I think) like thumbnails, cache, muxing, etc.

i7-2600k
8GB DDR3-1333
GTX 570
Cisco E3000 with DD-WRT (Wired in all directions)
Vizio M401i-A3

Thanks for any help given! I'll be happy to provide any additional information.
mrspaceman

Re: Slow Browsing and Playback Issues

Post by mrspaceman »

Also noticing that the buffer often reads nonsense. Right now, it's transcoding an .mp4, trying to start playback for several minutes, and the buffer says -549,775,813,135 MB.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Post a debug log with the issues as we need more info to be able to help you.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556 is the link for debug instructions
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
mrspaceman

Post by mrspaceman »

With pleasure. The first is with an .avi, and the second with an .mkv. In the first case, the file started actually playing on the TV at 14:03, about three minutes after UMS said it had started playing the file. It started near the beginning of the final scene of the movie. In the second case, more dramatically, UMS started playing the file at 14:41, but nothing played on the TV until 15:33, and it also started well into the film. In both cases, the seek bar is blank white, whether the file is playing normally or seeking. Also in both cases, once it starts playing, it doesn't skip or stutter or anything. Plays like a champ, apart from my having to seek to the beginning of the file.
Attachments
ums_dbg2.zip
(116.31 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
ums_dbg.zip
(58.9 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
mrspaceman

Post by mrspaceman »

Any thoughts here. I've continued to prod at it, but nothing seems to change.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I've had a look and can't see much. I will take a further look into it for you and compare it with my own logs.

Edit: Do me a favor and install the latest beta and see if that makes a difference
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
mrspaceman

Post by mrspaceman »

A5 does indeed seem to exhibit a somewhat different behavior. Playback starts pretty much immediately, so whatever that problem was, it seems to have been resolved in this build (I think.) It still seems to churn when I navigate to a folder with several video files in it. It serves each video file for some thirty seconds or more, putting dashes in the date and duration columns as it goes. Once it finishes with every file on the page, navigation is normal and I can play a file. I noticed that while it worked at getting the file info, mencoder.exe was using about 15% of my CPU. It may also be worth noting that I've already built a cache, and it still does this on the same folder repeatedly.

Playback still starts near the end of the file, seemingly always in the same spot, at least for what I've checked. If I seek in reverse somewhat frantically, the file suddenly skips straight to the actual start of the file. Could be worse! Here's a new debug. Looks as boring as the last! In this test case, with lossless quality, playback started in about seven or eight seconds, which is entirely acceptable! Thanks again for any thoughts.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(81.9 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
mrspaceman

Post by mrspaceman »

I tried Serviio and it does not seem to have these problems. I have no idea what that's worth to you guys. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to allow seeking with my TV, and there are a couple of features of UMS I'd rather have. I'm still open to any ideas!
sukh77

Post by sukh77 »

Try my conf: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1307.

I was having the same issue till I modified it. My sony tv was being detected as vizio, seems like they use the same agent.
xbones

Post by xbones »

Having same issue with Vizio M801-a3d Smart TV.. When trying to stream from the Smart DLNA service on the TV, the video wont play, tv hangs, and the UMS shows a -7530270932 number.. Is there a fix for this?

Unfortunately I had to switch to Serviio as it works flawless with my Vizio M Series TV.