Sony KDL-32WD751 not finding UMS when wired

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Chris9620

Sony KDL-32WD751 not finding UMS when wired

Post by Chris9620 »

Hi!
For Christmas I got a Sony Bravia KDL-32WD751 which has a media server built in. (Which was why I chose it) when I set it all up on the WiFi Universal Media Server was there and worked, but it was slow. So I decided to get it wired into the network to hopefully make it run faster and smoother. But now that it’s wired universal media server isn’t connecting. It isn’t getting found in the ‘detected media renderers’ section on the pc (although the WiFi one is still listed) and obviously the universal media server isn’t appearing when I go to the media server section on the tv.
Anyone have any advice? Or experienced anything similar? The media server is still working on the PS4 so I know it is t the server itself which is the issue.
Any other info you need I’ll be happy to provide.
Thanks
Chris9620

Re: Sony KDL-32WD751 not finding UMS when wired

Post by Chris9620 »

Slight update. I realised I had to open the ports on both devices. So my server is now ‘discovered’ and connecting, but when I select it from the list on the tv it says ‘cannot access the sever. Please check the server settings’
Progress! But still not working. Hope you can help.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The server and the renderers must be on the same local network. It sounds like your wireless and wired networks aren't the same (have different IP subnets) and that UMS is still on the "wireless" network.
EnumOlive

Post by EnumOlive »

Hi Chris9620

It would be helpful if you could attach your debug information as described in the Problem Reporting Guidelines
Chris9620

Post by Chris9620 »

Just attached the debug
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 457 times
Chris9620

Post by Chris9620 »

ERROR Failed to send action "GetPositionInfo" to KDL-32WD751: Error: Current state of service prevents invoking that action. Connection error or no response received

seems to be the error message
Chris9620

Post by Chris9620 »

Hi Nadahar.
Any advice on how to change what you think is happening? If it helps the PS4 and XBox are both wired and work fine, and the PSVita is wireless and also works fine, so I assume any issue is at the TVs end, maybe??? or could it be a setting I can change in the router for that specific wired connection?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It doesn't seem like the network setup is the problem. I see this in your log, which indicates that UMS can "see" the TV:

Code: Select all

DEBUG 2019-01-07 17:20:19.320 [cling-146] Matched media renderer "Sony Bravia W" based on dlna details "KDL-32WD751 192.168.1.72 uuid:13fd3750-1e01-11b2-b3de-da9c67cadae1 Sony Corporation KDL-32W700B 1.0 IPI Media Renderer http://www.access-company.com/ http://www.access-company.com/"
I also see a lot of errors in the attempted communication. I can't know for sure, but it seems like the TV is rejecting UMS. I also see this in the manual:

Code: Select all

Note
•  The server is required to be DLNA Certified™.
No server that I know of is DLNA certified, because to become that you'd have to pay a lot of money to those that does the certification. I don't know if this is just something they write or if it's actually true. With Sony nothing would surprise me. That said, if it worked using Wifi it doesn't really make any sense.

If you have both the wired interface and the wifi interface configured on the TV and both are on the same local network, there could be some confusion. You should try to disable the Wifi in the TV's configuration so that you are sure that all communication is done via the wired interface. If that doesn't work, I'm not quite sure.

UMS' DLNA implementation is very bad (I mean that UMS doesn't follow the DLNA standard very well), so there are many reasons why the TV might reject UMS because it doesn't do as it's supposed to. Most renderers aren't that picky though, and most of the time DLNA isn't actually used - UPnP AV is.
Chris9620

Post by Chris9620 »

Thanks for the reply!
The tv does claim to be DNLA certified... don’t know if that is something.
Anyway I just checked and my tvs WiFi was already set to ‘off’ it must have been one of the things I tested out back before I posted, so it’s not that...
any other suggestions?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The TV is DLNA certified obviously, Sony is one of the founders of the DLNA initiative from what I understand, so it doesn't cost them anything to "certify" something. I was talking about the servers, according to the TV's manual it will only work with "certified" servers. "Certified" doesn't have to do with following the DLNA standard, it has to do with whether or not somebody has paid SpireSpark to verify their capabilities and issue a certificate with their findings: https://spirespark.com/dlna/certification

The main reason to pay for certification is to be allowed to use the DLNA logo and market your product as a DLNA certified device. Put simply, it means that the product ends up in this list: https://spirespark.com/dlna/products/

It might just be a red herring and that this isn't something they actually enforce, but if Sony is checking UMS against the list of "certified" servers before allowing access, it obviously will reject UMS. I have no idea if this is what they're actually doing, I just noticed that the manual mentions that the device "must" be DLNA certified.

Except for that, I have no other idea. As I said, there is a loong way to go before UMS is DLNA compliant, so there are plenty of possibilities why a device could reject UMS simply for not following the rules. There are signs of some kind of communication issue in your log.

I was kicked off the UMS development team for criticizing all the bugs that are being ignored and even worse added all the time, so I'm not going to dig in to the details to try to figure out what might go wrong. Some of those that still defends the current "strategy" will have to do that. In my view, most of the code added since 7.0.0 is of a quality that is unacceptable. Thus, I would recommend trying the last version of UMS 6.x, which I believe is 6.8.0. If you're lucky that will make a difference, but it's in no way certain.