UMS 3.0.0 won't play any mkv's without stuttering on PS3

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Cidious

UMS 3.0.0 won't play any mkv's without stuttering on PS3

Post by Cidious »

I just installed the latest stable version of UMS (clean install). I updated from 2.6.5. This version worked fine except for A/V syncing of a Dolby Digital stream.So I wanted to upgrade badly because I have tried about everything to get the sync right without any luck.

But now my PS3 won't play any MKV's anymore. It just opens and you can hear a few seconds of the sound track and see a couple of video frames and then freezes. I run the same encoding settings I did on version 2.6.5 but I have also tried another clean installe with out of the box settings. No luck yet.

Any ideas?
sapsa

Re: UMS 3.0.0 won't play any mkv's without stuttering on PS3

Post by sapsa »

I had few problems with some files because there were badly encoded.
Best option is to pass debug.log here (delete it before you try, start ums, play that faulty file on ps3, wait till fail, close ums save debug.log)

Other solution could be that your cpu is not so fast.
server: C2D [email protected] 3GB RAM
network: wired 1000MB/s
render: LG 55LM620S, Samsung LE40C650, PS3
Cidious

Post by Cidious »

debug.log: http://pastebin.com/wFeegP2a

The thing is. Everything played fine on version 2.6.5. I am talking about the exact same .mkv files.
I installed PMS 1.90.1 and everything also plays fine. So something has to be wrong with the new UMS 3.0.0
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I might bump this to Subjunk and see what he can see. Hope we find the issue if there is one
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It looks like a pretty rare release of that movie, I would suggest trying more popular releases in the future, for that movie there's the PublicHD release or the EVO release, lots of high quality groups released that movie in 1080p quality but I can't find any info on that file.
I suspect what is happening is that in 2.6.5 the file was being transcoded which made it play well, but in 3.0.0 it is being muxed but something about the file is incompatible with the PS3.
Can you please paste the MediaInfo of the file? Maybe it will give clues as to why the PS3 doesn't like it.
Cidious

Post by Cidious »

Thnx for your response. The mkv files are comming from a specific community which releases its own movies. Which I never had problems with.

Here is the mediainfo file: http://pastebin.com/6DmCGTqW

Transcoding the file does indeed work with 3.0.0 and 3.1.0. But liked the simplicity of 2.6.5 that everything played automatically with one click.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I agree that it's a problem to have to transcode instead of one click. Are there any smaller files that also have the problem? Or are you able to upload or give me a link to that file?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

I read many threads where non tech users comment on videos skipping, or poor quality or rejected content and probably it's all related to transcoding of unsupported formats. Wouldn't be a good idea to make the file type detected more explicit in the main window log for easier auto troubleshooting?

ie: Serving MyVideofile.mp4 [container:mp4, vcodec:avc, acodec:mp3, subs:no] without transcoding
or: Serving MyVideofile.mkv [container:mkv, vcodec:avc, acodec:mp3, subs:no] transcoded to [container:m2ts, vcodec:avc, acodec:LPCM, subs:ccaption] by Mencoder

Maybe it may also be integrated to the presented #Transcode folder name as well (ie MyVideofile.mkv [mkv,avc,mp3] ) so its also visible from the Renderer interface.
How does it sound? Wolf.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

@Wolfgan: I'm not sure, since we have that info in the debug log already so I think the Logs window is nice how it just displays a simple history now. I'm not sure though there are lots of ways to go on that.

@Cidious: Looking at the MediaInfo I see that it is listed as variable frame rate, which must mean there is a problem with the way the file was put together because the movie wouldn't be VFR. That may be what's causing problems, but I'll know more if I can get a copy of the file or another file that has the same problem.