[Solved] UMS Won't Startup

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
sonypete

[Solved] UMS Won't Startup

Post by sonypete »

Basically any version of UMS newer then 7.5.0 won't startup. Java doesn't kick off, C:\ProgramData\UMS\debug.log doesn't get created, basically nothing happens.

I have tried starting it with/without admin privs. I have deleted the old database folder and even everything under C:\ProgramData\UMS

I have tried starting it via "select profile" and pointing it at the ums.conf in C:\ProgramData\UMS and in C:\ProgramFilesx86

I have tried every version after 7.5.0 and they all fail to initialize. I have updated my version of java as well.

I seen another user with the same issue who had to keep reverting back to 7.5.0.
https://www.universalmediaserver.com/fo ... 183#p38345

- I'm Stumped
EnumOlive

Re: UMS Won't Startup

Post by EnumOlive »

Hi

Which versions of Windows and Java are you running?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Are you running any firewalls/AV products?
sonypete

Post by sonypete »

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Service Pack 1)

Java shown below:
1.8 1.8.0_201 http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_201\bin\javaw.exe true x86_64

I'm using the built in "System Center Endpoint Protection" software and nothing else.

Over the past few day I did monitor for processes being generated and a java process does initiate but then stop after like 2-3 seconds. It will just briefly show up in the process list. I've tried disabling the System Center and it still only shows for a couple seconds.

I've also tried running UMS.bat which tries to start UMS manually and that doesn't work either.
sonypete

Post by sonypete »

Any ideas ladies and fellas?
Storm

Post by Storm »

I am having exactly the same issue, except on Windows 10 Pro x64. I did put up a post, but it hasn't been authorized yet.

Edit: I have gone back to version 7.5.0 and all is working.
sonypete

Post by sonypete »

You don't get a debug.log either? Yea, I wish this would get some attention. I've now seen 4 people complain about this and having to revert back to 7.5.0.

C:\ProgramData\UMS\debug.log
SEKCobra

Post by SEKCobra »

I have this exact same issue. Any version after 7.5 (I think?) won't work for me, doesn't generate any logs anywhere. I would be willing to help debug this issue, but I have no idea where to start. I am running Win 10 1803 Pro and tried the newest release just now
Romcollector

Post by Romcollector »

I decided to go for the same option. I tried all versions up to 8.1. They work for a while, and then suddenly nothing starts up at all. Reinstalling java, UMS, restarting computer, nothing.

At best, it will start after installation, but it stop working at one point. No log created either.

7.5 works flawlessly though.

Windows 10 pro x64
randomusername

Post by randomusername »

Same issue here Windows 10 v1903
Tried the 8.2.0 release and the 9.0.0-b2 version and won't start up when universal media server is opened. No debug.log is created. Steps tried on each version: uninstalling java and allowing the installer download the java version, running as administrator, going in the folder properties and allowing full control in the security tab to user in Universal Media Server folder and UMS Folder. Like the above reverting to 7.5.0 allows the program to work.

To find more into the issue I uninstalled every version of UMS, clean installed 9.0.0.-b2 at the default directory and then moved that folder to the desktop. And then installed 7.5.0 to default. I then transferred files from the 9 version folder to the 7 version folder starting up the 7 version along the way to see if it still works, one file makes it not work for me and that is the ums.jar file.