Download automatic subtitles? (LiveSubtitles?)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
h3ct0r

Download automatic subtitles? (LiveSubtitles?)

Post by h3ct0r »

Hi,

I wanted to know if there is a way to automatically download subtitles for the videos using UMS. Is this function called "Live Subtitles" or "OpenSubtitles"?
I have seen the option "show_live_subtitles_folder" in the config file (UMS.conf) but I have not found any documentation about this feature, or any message in the logs showing if this function is working or not.

I'm running UMS on Debian 9.9 Strech and playing media on a PS4.

Thanks!
Nadahar

Re: Download automatic subtitles? (LiveSubtitles?)

Post by Nadahar »

It's the one called "Live subtitles", enable it and then browse to the "Live subtitles" folder to query opensubtitles for suggestions. You will usually get multiple suggestions back, the are listed in descending "match score" according to your language preferences.

The opensubtitles server is often over-loaded so it doesn't always "work". Also, if you make too many requests in a limited periode of time, opensubtitles might temporarily "ban" your IP for a while. It is possible, if you have an opensubtitles VIP account, to enter your account details in the UMS credentials, which will let you use these credentials when contacting opensubtitles, which will forward you to the "VIP server" which won't suffer from overloading or rate limits.