Can't Uninstall UMS??

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Eightsi

Can't Uninstall UMS??

Post by Eightsi »

Hello, I am having some problems uninstalling ums for windows 10. I tried removing it from the control panel. Said It was already uninstalled, but it still opens everytime I turn on my computer. I found the app and uninstalled it, that didn't do anything. I searched on the thing that opens, still couldn't find anything. So how do I uninstall it? This is really frustrating me, as I no longer need this program and I want to keep as much space as possible free on my computer. The only reason I want to uninstall it is because It wouldn't connect to my ps4. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how to uninstall it, because I really don't want a unnecessary program taking up space. Thanks!
Eightsi

Re: Can't Uninstall UMS??

Post by Eightsi »

Why haven't I received a response yet? I just want this program off of my computer! It does not appear in the control panel and it does not appear as a windows 10 app yet it is still opening on startup. I tried disabling it from appearing on startup, that did nothing. I really, really need some help, please respond! There is no phone number and no e-mail from this company, so I was forced to post in the forums. All good downloadable sites should make it easy to uninstall their program. I no longer need this program, and I want it off my computer to maximize space. Please, a mod or something, respond. I have been waiting days. I am also afraid this program is causing damage to my computer, as it has been acting weird after I installed it. This program is going to get a bad reputation if they don't make it easier to uninstall, and I will make sure to warn anyone who wants to use this program. Thanks for any help
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's not "difficult" to uninstall, but if it's running while you uninstall the uninstallation might fail.

What I would do is:
- Install UMS again
- Start UMS, and make sure that "start with Windows" is disabled and that it's NOT installed as a service.
- Quit UMS by using the "quit" button (not by just closing the window).
- Uninstall
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I was wondering how is UMS damaging your computer?

I'm on Win 10 as well and have used UMS for years. UMS is able to connect to my PS4 and can play different formats on it without difficulty. I can even rewind and fast forward transcoded material. UMS shows up in my control panel, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled UMS multiple times during testing. So while I can understand your frustration in not being able to uninstall it, the problems you are encountering are not specific to UMS and may be some issue with your computer during the initial installation. In the past I have encountered a failed control panel installation, but have always been able to manually uninstall the unwanted program. The issue there would be the many potential registry entries left behind.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@Madoka As I've said above, the uninstallation failes miserably if UMS is running. It will then just remove whatever isn't in use/locked and then remove itself from installed programs, leaving a lot of stuff seemingly "uninstallable". A new installation will overwrite these files and then remove them all when uninstalled again (provided UMS isn't running this time too).
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Yes, true, as I've accidentally "uninstalled" UMS while it was running when attempting to test a new version. But I've always been able to restore a functioning install (and uninstallable UMS) by doing exactly as you've described. I guess the uninstaller could be improved by warning the user if UMS is running and offering to quit the program first so it never errors out when UMS is running.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Madoka wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:52 am Yes, true, as I've accidentally "uninstalled" UMS while it was running when attempting to test a new version. But I've always been able to restore a functioning install (and uninstallable UMS) by doing exactly as you've described. I guess the uninstaller could be improved by warning the user if UMS is running and offering to quit the program first so it never errors out when UMS is running.
Yes I think that would be possible because we already use a NSIS plugin to detect that during installation, we can see if we can use the same one at uninstall.

Either way though, UMS is not harming anyone's computer.