external subtitle not showing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
poloce

Re: external subtitle not showing

Post by poloce »

make sense, thanks

what about below issues I am seeing? I can add .en.srt but not .zh for some reason.

Also, when I added filename.zh.srt UMC won't recolonized it. Did I do something wrong? Does UMC sees it as different file name? I simply want to add the language to name but doesn't seems to work
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You should probably use either "zh-hans" or "zh-hant". It should have been able to resolve just "zh" though, but it might be a bug there. You can also use 3-letter codes ("zho") where they are more clear.

That said, I kind of doubt that your Viera implements all the Chinese glyphs, so it might reject such subtitles simply because they contain unsupported code points.

To see exactly what happens when trying to parse "zh", new (trace) debug files would be needed.
poloce

Post by poloce »

I tried another file with .cht.srt and it works, so I think there might be somthing wrong with that .srt causing me not able to add a suffix to it.
poloce

Post by poloce »

Hi,

Can you take another look at the debug file? I tried another movie and .srt already in UTF-8 but still no show. UMC did recognized there is an external sub but the sun did not show up in my Viera.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(187.31 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

This file also has internal subtitles, so one of them is selected:

Code: Select all

TRACE 2019-07-23 11:27:37.256 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 6] net.pms.encoders.Player Matched internal subtitles track: id: 100, type: VOBSUB, lang: und
These subtitles aren't supported by the TV, so they are not sent. Instead, they are "burned in" during transcoding. I don't know why they aren't visible, I see that MEncoder is used for the transcoding but I don't remember if it has any issues with VOBSUB. Another question is what is in this subtitles track in the first place, it might be that there's no actual text there, or that what's there isn't what you're expecting.

To get UMS to select the subtitles you want it to, you can either enable "Force external subtitles" (I don't remember the exact name of the option, but something to that effect) or you can enable the "TRANSCODE" folder and manually select the subtitles track that you wish to view.
poloce

Post by poloce »

not the sob I wanted to use. it was the .srt which is in the folder, I remove those .sob files and tried two different .srt with UTF-8 but didn't show up.
poloce

Post by poloce »

I run it again with two different .srt still doesn't work. here is the debug file! thanks!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(288.71 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know if you understand me, but it's still the same issue. There are embedded subtitles in the file you're trying to play, and those are selected automatically. If you use the TRANSCODE folder you can manually select which subtitles track you want to use.
poloce

Post by poloce »

I think I might just know what you mean, but looks like the forced sub didn't work in this case??
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Have you tried selecting the correct subtitles track using the TRANSCODE folder?