Possible solution for Samsung issues

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
radiah

Possible solution for Samsung issues

Post by radiah »

I have a Samsung UN55KU6300FXZA smart TV, and had issues with it not seeing the media server or only seeing it occasionally, although the media server always saw the TV. This started occurring with regularity when I upgraded to UMS 9.0. I tried a clean install, resetting every switch along the path and unplugging the TV. Occasionally, the TV would then see UMS again, only to quit in the middle of a film! The UMS debug file always complained that it could not detect a position with the TV. As I started digging deeper, I began to see error messages from Symantec Endpoint antivirus that "javaw.exe" was being blocked, which prompted me to look through the logs for the network protection on Symantec. I found that "javaw.exe" was being blocked on UDP port 1900 (which is UPnP), so I went to the firewall rules in Symantec Endpoint and about halfway down the pre-configured rules, there was an entry to block UDP Port 1900 in both directions. I unchecked the box, allowing that protocol to now pass from the mediaserver computer and now I have no more problems with UMS or the TV seeing each other.
Maybe this may help someone who is having problems, or maybe I am an isolated case. I just thought I'd pass the information along.
Cheers,
radiah
Nadahar

Re: Possible solution for Samsung issues

Post by Nadahar »

I doubt you're alone, detection problems between the server and the renderer(s) are most often caused by something external (firewall, router, "security software") blocking the signals. The problem is that one can't list up all possible causes as there are so many different solutions. Each user must know enough about their own setup to know that they're not blocking the traffic, and I'm afraid this is where it often lacks...
mik_s

Re: Possible solution for Samsung issues

Post by mik_s »

This was actually quite useful. UMS hasn't shown up on my Samsung TV for a while, but as I use another renderer on my ps3 I never really looked into fixing it. I guess it stopped working around the time i upgraded to win 10 although i didn't take much notice of it.
I had assumed just allowing Java have access though the firewall was all that was needed.
I looked though my windows firewall advanced settings to see all the rules set there. by default for me it is set to block any inbound connection not matched by any rule.
when I looked at what rules were on port 1900 I saw only half were active, and therefore the rest were being blocked, so I enabled them all. These were predefined rules set by windows.
can't remember which ones I turned on but some did mention media streaming. I did the same for any outbound connections too, for both local and remote ports. these are my rules now.

Local Port 1900 Inbound
Local Port 1900 Inbound
local port inbound.jpg (240.94 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
Remote Port 1900 Outbound
Remote Port 1900 Outbound
remote port outbound.jpg (255.87 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
Local Port 1900 Outbound
Local Port 1900 Outbound
Local port outbound.jpg (247.51 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

At first I saw no change. I restarted UMS but still nothing , I turned off my TV and I noticed in the logs tab that UMS got a message from the IP my TV is on. turning the TV back on saw a lot of communication between it and UMS and it now shows up as a source.

Its definitely worth checking if you still have any issues connecting to UMS.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.