PS4 - 20 Min(ish) Streaming Issues

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Cybrex

PS4 - 20 Min(ish) Streaming Issues

Post by Cybrex »

Hello everyone,

Up till this weekend I have always used the PS3 as my means to stream movies and TV shows from my computer to my projector. As of this weekend I have purchased a PS4 and have run into the dreaded, 20 mins and it stops working issue.

When watching a show (I haven't even bothered to try and watch a movie at this point) after 20 mins or so the show stops and it puts me to the screen saying this is where you can access your media from your computer and nothing is listed. The only way I can get back my media collection is going over to my desktop and either closing UMS completely or generally most cases restarting the server which then repopulates in The Playstation Media Player (which is a piece of shite I might add).

I've spent a bit of time googling this and everything I could find was generally back in 2015/2016 but fast forwarding to 2019 it seems the issue continues to play USM which baffles me completely. I've made sure I've updated all software needed including Java and the issue continues on.

Has some work around ever come about to resolve this issue or will USM forever have this problem with streaming to the PS4? If so, what alterantive software are people using in replace of USM while they wait for the long await fix or till the PS5 comes out and hopefully it doesn't have the same issue as the PS4 and USM have?
Nadahar

Re: PS4 - 20 Min(ish) Streaming Issues

Post by Nadahar »

I'm not sure what USM is, but as far as I know, the PS4 problems have never been solved because they aren't consistent/reproducible. It doesn't help that people just point out that there's a problem, log files that captures what happens when it goes wrong is needed. Also, to my understanding, not everybody has this issue with the PS4 - and I have never gotten a "clear" understanding of what causes this inconsistent behavior. It could be that the PS4's are "different" (different software/version), that there are network issues or that is has to do with the type of media that is played.

Anyway, the first step is making a trace log while the 20 minutes pass including when it stops, and then post it here.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: PS4 - 20 Min(ish) Streaming Issues

Post by SubJunk »

There is a big topic about this already, so I'll close this in favour of that https://www.universalmediaserver.com/fo ... f=5&t=5563