Transcoding FLAC: only plays one song at a time

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
drsills

Transcoding FLAC: only plays one song at a time

Post by drsills »

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Here's what I want to do: play an entire album/folder of FLAC files, one song after the other, on my Yamaha R-N301.

Here's what I get instead...

A) My R-N301 won't play these files from the main index, but...

B) If I open the #--TRANSCODE--# folder, there they all are in a numbered list. Selecting any one of them, however, leads to a much smaller index: three iterations of the same file name. Selecting any of these three will cause the file to be played (which is great!), but, after it finishes, the song either repeats or the R-N301 flashes "cannot play media" and goes quiet (not great).

In making the debug file attached I tried to (A) play the files from the initial list (they were Free.flac, Loves Missing.flac, Sonali.flac etc.) without success, and then (B) I entered the #--TRANSCODE--# directory and selected "Free.flac" from the numbered list of all the songs on the the album, and then selected one of the three identical titles ("Free.flac, Free.flac and Free.flac") from the resulting list. When the song ended, the R-N301 displayed "cannot read media" and a disappointed silence ensued.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(195.17 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Nadahar

Re: Transcoding FLAC: only plays one song at a time

Post by Nadahar »

You shouldn't use the TRANSCODE folder unless you want to select a different transcoding that what is automatically selected. In the TRANSCODE folder, all possible variations of the same file are listed, some of them will probably fail to play on any given renderer. So, since the same audio file is listed multiple times with different formats/variations, the tracks will either all play the same song or fail to play. This behavior is as expected.

The question is why you use the TRANSCODE folder in the first place. If it's because some of the files doesn't work outside the TRANSCODE folder, the reason is that your renderer configuration file doesn't correctly describe the capabilities of your renderer, so that the automatic determination makes the wrong choice.
drsills

Post by drsills »

Thanks for your analysis, Nadahar.

Yes, .FLAC
files [don't] work outside the TRANSCODE folder
. So that narrows down the problem significantly (I hope).

In my attached debug file, above, the message "Media renderer was not recognized" appears twice. Is this the crux of my problem, I wonder? Is there some addendum I ought to make to the machine's config file, perhaps?

Much obliged.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

If the renderer isn't recognized, a "default configuration" is used - and this configuration assumes that the renderer supports everything (and thus that nothing needs transcoding).

You need to either find an existing configuration that works with your renderer or modify an existing one so that it works. The process isn't very difficult, but it isn't very well documented either - so it can seem a pretty daunting task because finding the relevant information can be hard.

If you search or read on this forum, you will find many, many posts regarding how to create a renderer configuration. I recently tried to explain it to another user in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13854

I don't think it worked out for him, but it's still the best I can do - so you might as well read it there instead of me repeating it all here.