ISO files???

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mitcheal

ISO files???

Post by mitcheal »

I seem to be finding conflicting information. I created an ISO file of a DVD, and attempted to play on my Sony Blue Ray player. Says it was not a valid format. I've seen where ISO's are supported, and where they are not.

thanks,
mitch.
Nadahar

Re: ISO files???

Post by Nadahar »

They are supported, but with some limitations. First, I don't think the ISO can be encrypted (although I'm not 100% sure of this). Second, MPlayer must be available and working (bundled on Windows and macOS, must be installed manually on Linux). Third, the MPlayer output must be acceptable for the renderer (The output isn't 100% to spec, so a very few will complain/refuse to play AFAICR).
mitcheal

Post by mitcheal »

I installed mplayer, and am getting no playable files when i choose the iso.

17:37:53 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
User-Agent: UPnP/1.0
X-AV-Physical-Unit-Info: pa="BDP-S3500";
X-AV-Client-Info: av=5.0; cn="Sony Corporation"; mn="BDP-S3500"; mv="2.0";
17:37:53 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
User-Agent: UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50
User-Agent: UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50

thanks,
mitch.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It seems UMS doesn't have a "renderer configuration" for your renderer - which means that it will just send any file as-is without doing any transcoding. That will only work for files supported by the renderer, and ISO files obviously aren't among those.

You need to find or create a renderer configuration for your renderer. There's no easy way to do this, you need to search the forum and read some of all the explanations already posted - if you're lucky you'll find one that will work or that can just be tweaked slightly.
mitcheal

Post by mitcheal »

Thanks, does it make sense that i can play other files without issue? So the TV can render the mpeg files without issue, but not the ISO. UMS needs to do this? am i understanding correctly?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Yes, any files that are natively supported by the renderer will still work - like for example "normal" MPEG files. Anything that ISN'T supported by the renderer must be converted/transcoded, like for example ISO files, and that's where the "renderer configuration" is needed to tell UMS what formats/codecs are and are not supported. Without such a configuration, UMS simply assumes that "everything" is supported, even though I very much doubt such a device exists ;)
mitcheal

Post by mitcheal »

ok, great. thanks for the help. i'll look into the config file. one question though, for this one device, i see it 3 times on the status page (detected renders). what would cause that?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's hard to say without a full log, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was caused by it not being "recognized" as well.