UMS not visible on network

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
rww

UMS not visible on network

Post by rww »

Reaching out for help - I've searched the forum but cannot find a solution...

The UMS server is not visible to any renderer on the network other than through the web interface.

To date I have:
1. Disabled all firewalls
2. Ensured UMS is on same subnet as the renderers (it is, its file shares are visible)
3. Uninstalled and clean re-install of UMS

VLC on the UMS machine can see the server and drill down to the folder / file listings
Using the web interface on port 9001 enables other computers to see the server and access the folder / file listing.
Port 9001 shows as active on the UMS machine.
The log file shows that the server is ready:
UMS log1.PNG
UMS log1.PNG (10.71 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
I have noticed that whatever port I use (default 5001, or any other non-used TCP/UDP port) is not active (in this case I'm using 10001):
UMS log2.PNG
UMS log2.PNG (19.19 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
Port 9001 is active and allows the web interface to be reached.

Any ideas?
Nadahar

Re: UMS not visible on network

Post by Nadahar »

It sounds to me like UMS is NOT on the same subnet as the renderers. It doesn't matter if you can access the web-interface or if shares are visible. All those things use unicast, which easily travels between subnets via a router. The problem is that UPnP relies on MULTIcast, which is a whole different ballgame when it comes to traversing routers.

The only way to check if they're on the same subnet is by actually comparing the IP addresses and subnet masks. If you're not that familiar with subnet "calculations", I'd suggest using an online subnet calculator like for example this: http://www.subnet-calculator.com/

It will show you what range of IP addresses belongs to the subnet defined by an IP address with subnet mask. All other devices must then also have addresses/masks that matches so that they are within the "range" of that subnet.
davelowe

Post by davelowe »

I have this same problem. Did you ever figure it out? I have all the renderers running (from the startup log) and I can get on the web interface to play content, but no other renderers (ie VLC) can be seen by other software. My entire network is on one subnet (192.168.1.x) so I'm CERTAIN everything is together.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

As long as everything is on the same subnet, the usual suspect is the firewall on the computer running UMS blocking the traffic.