E-AC-3 & PS4 audio issue - always force transcode to AAC?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
knifeyspooney

Re: E-AC-3 & PS4 audio issue - always force transcode to AAC?

Post by knifeyspooney »

Nadahar wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:31 pm The bug isn't in MediaInfo, the bug is in UMS in that UMS' code hasn't been updated to match the changes made in MediaInfo.

That said, you can already do "everything except" in the current system, since it uses regex. But, that would mean you'd have to learn some regex to use it ;)

A simple "not containing" is like this: https://www.regextester.com/15
This means that

Code: Select all

v:^(?:(?!h265).)*$
would probably achieve what you want.

edit: The above is probably overly complicated in this case, since it will ensure that the string "h265" is nowhere within the code. But, we know that, in the case of h265, the code IS "h265", so we can get away with just that it's not there in the first position. In addition, I THINK UMS automatically adds the anchors (^ and $), so those can be omitted. Completely untested, I something like this would do it:

Code: Select all

v:(?!h265).
Appreciate this!

Forgive me, but where in the Playstation4 conf file would I insert this? This will be my first time modifying a renderer .conf file. :)
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@knifeyspooney That example was the the situation mik_s brought up. For you, the fix really is that they fix UMS.

As far as I can tell, the "least bad" workaround for you to use in the meanwhile is to remove ac3 support in your PS4 configuration file. To do that, you should look at all the lines starting with "Supported", behind "a:" (audio) and remove "ac3". The "|" are separators (meaning "or" in regex), so you need to remove one of those as well, so that there are only one between each "word" left behind.

This will lead to transcoding also for media with AC3 audio, but at least it will play without using the TRANSCODE folder. If I were you though, I wouldn't do anything, I would just play the EAC3 via the TRANSCODE folder until UMS has been fixed. But, if you have many more EAC3 media files than AC3 media files, it might be more convenient to modify the configuration - it all depends on your situation and priorities.
rgr

Post by rgr »

Hi, was the bug fixed in 9.4.2?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I've seen no interest from any developer in this thread, so I doubt it has been addressed.