Video stream from PC to Xbox 360 stops

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
humanbean

Video stream from PC to Xbox 360 stops

Post by humanbean »

Hey, I've been trying to setup my Xbox 360 to stream movies from my PC. I had this setup a couple years ago (with a much lower internet speed) with no issues. Now, the video seems to play for ~5-15 minutes and stops, sometimes with an Xbox error code: 53-C00DF238. I have been able to play an entire movie as well, so I just don't know at this point. No down/uploads are going on the PC, at most some gaming and browsing.

I've looked into the code, it states the connection to PC was lost, and the network connection was closed. I don't have any issues using Netflix/Youtube, only when trying to stream movies from the PC. I've tried UMS/PS3MS, and the default sharing app on the Xbox 360, and all seem to get the same error.

Is there some sort of throttling or bandwidth priority happening in my PC or router settings somewhere? I have enough speed to stream these files (100 down/15 up) so hopefully it's just a simple setting. I'd love to get this working as it should, any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Added a log with most recently playback stop (it did play for about 40 minutes):

16:21:59 INFO Started playing *****.mp4 on your Xbox 360
16:25:39 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
User-Agent: Win32, UPnP/1.1, MiniUPnPc/2.0
16:30:47 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
16:35:56 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
16:41:03 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
16:46:12 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
16:51:20 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
16:56:28 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
17:01:41 INFO Stopped playing *****.mp4 on Xbox 360
17:02:23 ERROR Failed to send action "GetPositionInfo" to Xbox 360: Error: Current state of service prevents invoking that action. Connection error or no response received.
17:02:35 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
Last edited by humanbean on Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Re: Video stream from PC to Xbox 360 stops

Post by Nadahar »

Your internet speed has nothing to do with this, what matters is the bandwidth between your PC and the Xbox. If you're using a wireless network, they can often have a low and/or bandwidth. For the best results, use wired network. If that isn't an option, use "ac" wireless and make sure that the signal is strong.

That said, the problem can be caused by many other issues, but sufficient bandwidth is required or it simply won't work.
humanbean

Post by humanbean »

Nadahar wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:52 am Your internet speed has nothing to do with this, what matters is the bandwidth between your PC and the Xbox. If you're using a wireless network, they can often have a low and/or bandwidth. For the best results, use wired network. If that isn't an option, use "ac" wireless and make sure that the signal is strong.

That said, the problem can be caused by many other issues, but sufficient bandwidth is required or it simply won't work.
Thanks for the response. I can only use wireless right now sadly. I had no issues streaming 720p files a few years ago with 10down/2up speeds, so now with 100down/15up I wouldn't think I'd have an issue with bandwidth.

Is the "ac" wireless option in my Xbox 360, router, or PC? Thanks.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

"ac" isn't an option, it's a WiFi standard that "all parties" in the network (PC, router and Xbox) must support. If one or more of them don't, you won't get the bandwidth that "ac" provides: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

That said, "ac" only works well over very short distances/high signal strength, so you might be out of luck in any case. You can limit the bitrate in UMS' configuration so that it will transcode to a lower quality that takes up less bandwidth. If will only help when transcoding though.
humanbean

Post by humanbean »

Nadahar wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:22 pm "ac" isn't an option, it's a WiFi standard that "all parties" in the network (PC, router and Xbox) must support. If one or more of them don't, you won't get the bandwidth that "ac" provides: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

That said, "ac" only works well over very short distances/high signal strength, so you might be out of luck in any case. You can limit the bitrate in UMS' configuration so that it will transcode to a lower quality that takes up less bandwidth. If will only help when transcoding though.
I'm not sure if it's a signal issue. I get a full signal bar on the Xbox 360, plus the fact I can stream Netflix with no interruptions.

Could it be some router config issue?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Netflix requires much less bandwidth, since those videos have been pre-transcoded with streaming in mind. UMS has to do the transcoding in realtime, so there's much less time to do advanced compression to save bandwidth. It also depends on the source video, if you studied the details, you will find that the quality of a Netflix video isn't at all comparable to that found for example on a bluray disc.

It doesn't matter if you have a full signal if you don't have "ac" capable WiFi equipment, the bandwidth of 802.11n is quite limited even under the best of circumstances. I very much doubt it's a router configuration issue, although I can't reject the possibility.