how to know if video is currently transcoding (re encoding)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Hojojo

how to know if video is currently transcoding (re encoding)

Post by Hojojo »

how to be sure that the video is not (transcoding) ? , i know the audio is transcoding because the audio format dts is not supported.
but the video ? if it was transcoding there should be high cpu usage right ? my cpu is average and i don't notice any cpu usage?
does that means only the audio is transcoding and the video is untouched ?
mik_s

Re: how to know if video is currently transcoding (re encoding)

Post by mik_s »

A good indicator of when a file is being transcoded is higher CPU usage, but how obvious that is depends on your system. If it is a modern powerful computer you might not see as much difference compared to an older one with only a few cores then it will be easier to tell.

If you turn on "add engine names after filenames" in the navigation tab then you will be able to see what files will be transcoded if played as it will show (ffmpeg) for example added to the end of the filename.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Hojojo

Post by Hojojo »

does any file played through ffmpeg , means its transcoded (re-encoded)?
is it possible that the video file goes through it untouched bet gets its audio transcoded ?
Hojojo

Post by Hojojo »

mik_s wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:33 pm A good indicator of when a file is being transcoded is higher CPU usage, but how obvious that is depends on your system. If it is a modern powerful computer you might not see as much difference compared to an older one with only a few cores then it will be easier to tell.

If you turn on "add engine names after filenames" in the navigation tab then you will be able to see what files will be transcoded if played as it will show (ffmpeg) for example added to the end of the filename.
my cpu is i5 4460
mencoder uses 97% of the cpu
ffmpeg uses 20% of the cpu
tsmuxer uses 6% of the cpu

what does that means?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It would be possible to just transcode the audio and remux it, but this is not implemented in UMS as far as I know. As to the CPU uses you provide, I have no good explanation. Instead of relying on CPU usage to determine what's happening, I would use the log. Change log level to "trace", and the search the log for "startPlaying".