ffmpeg64.exe has a return code of 1.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: ffmpeg64.exe has a return code of 1.

Post by Nadahar »

It's strange if you had this problem with 6.8.0, as it doesn't have the "embedded javaw.exe" or a "jre-x??" subfolder. The old versions rely on your installed Java, and then this is an issue between Windows and the Java installation.

It seems to me like what has happened here is that Microsoft has implemented some "new security features" that doesn't allow Java programs to do the things they've used to. I have no idea why creating pipes is such a "dangerous" thing, but maybe Microsoft is following Apple's path to force everything over to their "app store". The later versions of macOS have the nerve to actually claim that the file is corrupt/damaged if you try to run something that isn't signed with Apple's "app store signature key". To have such keys, you have to pay a subscription to Apple or Microsoft, in addition to that they take a large cut of the price for anyone selling software of course.

For free software this is a problem nonetheless, as there is no income that can pay for these ransom schemes. I guess the users are the ones left with the problem in the end, because it's not much free open source projects can do about it.

I don't know that this is what has happened here, but I must say that it "smells" a bit like something of the sort. I've been convinced that both companies intend to force everything to their "stores" for quite some times now, so I guess I'm "extra wary" for potential moves from their side. If this is the case, I guess users that want to use free software will just have to get used to exclude their software from Windows Defender - which is a shame since you then also exclude them from virus/malware checks.
speckledegg

Re: ffmpeg64.exe has a return code of 1.

Post by speckledegg »

All I can say is God Bless You, Sir!

I've been having a nightmare with UMS after faultless usage for years... and it seems that Malwarebytes needed an exclusion. Windows Firewall already had one, but MWB didn't.

Thank you! That solved the problem!

~M