[Solved] UMS stopped transcoding subtitles

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jareeq

Re: [Solved] UMS stopped transcoding subtitles

Post by jareeq »

It's funny that my glitch worked so long that I'm treating it as broken feature :-)
Created one more with disable_transcoding = false
If you can figure out what is going on it will be enlightening.
Attachments
ums-2021-12-08-0025.zip
(423.23 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Calling it a glitch might be too strong, let's call it a coincidence. The point is that when you disable transcoding, you cut a lot of the "logic" short when UMS is evaluating what to do, so it's hard to say how much of the same logic is still working when that's the case. Disabling transcoding is just mean as a way to debug/troubleshoot, to figure out exactly what a device supports while being absolutely sure that everything that plays is supported for example. It's not meant as a regular setting, because there's no need to disable it if your renderer configuration is correct.

Looking in the log, I am somewhat confused by what's happening by changes that must have been added since I left the project, but it seems like both files play without transcoding and with external subtitles. Isn't that what you're experiencing? I can see in the log that your renderer requests and receives the SRT files for both at least. What exactly isn't working?
jareeq

Post by jareeq »

Thanks for your explanation.
Maybe we lost between words purpose of this trace :-)
Needed to be sure that my current configuration is working fine as well as not making unnecessary operations.
According to your supreme help it is works just fine.

Simplifying:
- after 9.8.2 renderer configuration slightly changed
- disable_transcoding = false make UMS engine fully functional and gives opportunity to better trace what is supported
- need to carefully examine renderer definition and update it according to supported codecs to get it properly working with 10.13.0 and above
- this will assure me that I'm getting full potential of UMS,

I think there is nothing else to do in my case.
Once again thank you for your time and broad explanation.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That's good to hear :)
cristisor

Post by cristisor »

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with subtitles transcoding. At the moment, I'm using UMS 13.8.1, just updated from 13.8.0 but nothing changed.
My guess is that they stopped working after an update. For a couple of months I didn't play a specific mkv file, in the meantime I'm pretty sure that I did updates and yesterday, when I tried it, the subtitles were missing.
The mkv file with subtitles issues is transcoded because the sounds codec is DTS, which is not supported.

The TV is a Panasonic GX-810 with the following configuration for subtitles:

Code: Select all

# SUPPORTED SUBTITLES TAGS
SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = MICRODVD,SUBRIP,TEXT
SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = MICRODVD,SUBRIP,TEXT
StreamSubsForTranscodedVideo = true
I enabled debug logging, where I see that the subtitle file is properly identified and loaded. Despite that, it's not displayed.
I attached the log file but I'm also posting some log snippets here too:

Matched format MKV to "E:\Filme\The planets\The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.mkv"
Adding audio from the database: Id: 0, Language Code: eng, Audio Track Title From Metadata: DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz /  1703 kbps / 16-bit, Audio Codec: DTS HD, Bitrate: 1702704, Channels: 2, Sample Frequency: 48000 Hz
Adding subtitles from the database: Embedded, id: 0, type: SUBRIP, lang: eng, default: false, forced: false
Adding subtitles from the database: Embedded, id: 1, type: PGS, subtitles track title from metadata: SDH, lang: eng, default: false, forced: false
Adding subtitles from the database: External, type: SUBRIP, lang: ro, externalFile: E:\Filme\The planets\The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.srt, external file character set: ISO-8859-2, default: false, forced: false
Searching for external subtitles for The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.mkv
Looking for an audio track with language "eng" for "The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.mkv"
Matched audio track: Id: 0, Language Code: eng, Audio Track Title From Metadata: DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz /  1703 kbps / 16-bit, Audio Codec: DTS HD, Bitrate: 1702704, Channels: 2, Sample Frequency: 48000 Hz
Looking for subtitles with the highest priority from eng, und
Returning subtitles with priority External, type: SUBRIP, lang: ro, externalFile: E:\Filme\The planets\The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.srt, external file character set: ISO-8859-2, default: false, forced: false: {}
Forcing external subtitles track for "The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.mkv": External, type: SUBRIP, lang: ro, externalFile: E:\Filme\The planets\The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.srt, external file character set: ISO-8859-2, default: false, forced: false
File "The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.mkv" will not be streamed because it is not supported by the renderer 50GX800_Series
Final verdict: "The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.mkv" will be transcoded with engine "FFmpeg Video" with mime type "video/x-matroska"
Adding "The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.mkv" to transcode folder for engine: "FFmpeg Video"
Matched format SubRip to "E:\Filme\The planets\The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.srt"
End of analysis for E:\Filme\The planets
Checking whether the external subtitles format SUBRIP is supported by the renderer
External subtitles format "SUBRIP" failed to match support line f:mkv 			  	          v:h264|h265|mpeg1|mpeg2|mp4   		  a:aac-main|ac3|eac3|he-aac|mp3|vorbis 				        m:video/x-matroska
Reading SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats: "MICRODVD,SUBRIP,TEXT" (default: "")
But did match a format in the SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats renderer configuration setting
Matched support line f:mkv 			  	          v:h264|h265|mpeg1|mpeg2|mp4   		  a:aac-main|ac3|eac3|he-aac|mp3|vorbis 				        m:video/x-matroska
External subtitles "The Planets 2019 S01E05 Into the Darkness Ice Worlds.srt" can be streamed to 50GX800_Series
Attachments
log.txt
(432.11 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Please follow the instructions in the red section above to make logs and post the zip file on here.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
cristisor

Post by cristisor »

Done, here's the zip attachment. The log that I attached in the previous post was a trace log file too.
Thank you.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2024-03-11-21-56.zip
(705.04 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Sorry I lost track of this.

Check your language settings as they may not be correct. Might be better to delete what is in the box and UMS will use default values depending on your system language.
yours is set to

audio_subtitles_languages = eng,eng;eng,und;*,eng;*,und;*,*
Clipboard Image (7).jpg
Clipboard Image (7).jpg (3.95 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Clipboard Image (6).jpg
Clipboard Image (6).jpg (44.37 KiB) Viewed 81 times
If you always want the subtitles on the starting with "eng,eng;" looks correct.

Also it looks like the subtitles will be streamed to the renderer instead of being burnt into the video so see if you can enable them on there.

Is the conf one you made yourself? You have set "StreamSubsForTranscodedVideo = true" so this is telling UMS to just send the subs and let the TV handle them.
If the TV does not allow you to enable subs then remove this setting from the conf.

Your UMS.conf is very bare only showing things that have been set so I guess it was originally set up on an old version, or it was deleted and UMS recreated it without all the documentation.

I suggest you reinstall but select "clean install" to reset everything to defaults and it should work normally again once you set it up. Back up your custom conf file for that TV first though.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
cristisor

Post by cristisor »

audio_subtitles_languages = eng,eng;eng,und;*,eng;*,und;*,*
I want to use english subtitles all the time, if they are available, no matter if the video is in english or not.
If english subtitles are not available, use anything else that's available.
Is the conf one you made yourself? You have set "StreamSubsForTranscodedVideo = true" so this is telling UMS to just send the subs and let the TV handle them.
If the TV does not allow you to enable subs then remove this setting from the conf.
Yes, I took a default Panasonic conf file and adjusted it to fit my TV, a Panasonic GX-810.
The thing is that this config file is like 1 - 2 years old and I didn't have subtitles issues until now.
Your UMS.conf is very bare only showing things that have been set so I guess it was originally set up on an old version, or it was deleted and UMS recreated it without all the documentation.
Yes, I update UMS from time to time. Some time after an update, not sure when, the subtitles stopped working on that specific video.
Subtitles still work fine on videos which are not transcoded.

I will try a clean install of UMS and see if that works.

Thank you.
cristisor

Post by cristisor »

Amazing, changing the value of StreamSubsForTranscodedVideo fixed the problem.
I checked and the config file wasn't modified recently, no idea why it broke down.

Thanks for the idea.