9.3.0 forces MP3 to LPCM transcode (which then won't play on Bravia TVs)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Honister

9.3.0 forces MP3 to LPCM transcode (which then won't play on Bravia TVs)

Post by Honister »

After upgrading from 9.2.0 to 9.3.0, none of my MP3 files would play on my Sony Bravia TV. I discovered that the files were being transcoded from MP3 to LPCM. The Bravia TV will not play LPCM files.

I checked that the 'Use LPCM for audio' box was not checked in Transcoder settings. To force a toggle, I then checked the box (i.e. 'Use LPCM for audio' activated) and closed the app. I then opened the app and unchecked the box (i.e. 'Use LPCM for audio' deactivated) and closed the app. I then ran the app again and there was a change on the Bravia TV in that the MP3 files then displayed the artwork (which they did not do before toggling this setting) and showed MP3 under the artwork as the file type. However, the files themselves were still showing that they were in LPCM format and they still would not play.

I uninstalled 9.3.0 and regressed to 9.2.0. Without any further intervention or changes to the default settings, the MP3 files played perfectly on the TV.

I have tried this entire process on two PCs (Windows 10) and with two different Bravia TVs (different models). In both cases, the results are the same thus eliminating the OS, PCs and TVs.
valib
Developer

Re: 9.3.0 forces MP3 to LPCM transcode (which then won't play on Bravia TVs)

Post by valib »

@Honister can you provide logs for the version 9.3.0 and for the 9.2.0?
Honister

Post by Honister »

@valib Thanks for your response. Log file for 9.2.0 attached. Unfortunately, I didn't capture one in 9.3.0. I will look at de-installing 9.2.0 and installing 9.3.0 and then run it to get a log.

BTW, fabulous product. Until this recent issue (arising from the update), it's been flawless and, for me, remains the market leader. Thanks.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(1005.56 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

@Honister thanks for the log but we need to make it in the TRACE mode. Please follow the Forum rules written in red above. And please stop automatic scanning of shared folders which spams the log.