UMS no longer visible with new installed router

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
JDN165

UMS no longer visible with new installed router

Post by JDN165 »

I'm using UMS on a Windows 10 pc for some time now. As a music media player I have a Sangean WFT-3 device.
The UMS server with the shared folders have always been visible on the Sangean, and I could select them and play the music files in these folders.
The modem/router I always used in my home network was an Experia Box V10. Both the pc where UMS is installed and the Sangean media player had a wired connection to this Experia Box.

Now my internet provider has replaced this Experia Box by another modem/router from Cisco. Everything is connected in my home network the same way as it was before and everything works fine, except the UMS media streaming. The Sangean media player doesn't show the UMS server anymore. Some other devices are shown, but no longer the Windows pc with the UMS server installed. I don't understand, because nothing has changed on this pc, or in the UMS configuration or the Sangean configuration. Specifically this pc with UMS installed is no longer visible on the media player.

Can anyone tell me if I have to change a setting in UMS or on the pc where UMS is running (start a Windows service perhaps) to force the UMS server with the shared folders to become visible again on the media player.

Thanks.
Nadahar

Re: UMS no longer visible with new installed router

Post by Nadahar »

The problem is most likely in the router. Are both devices still connected to the router with wired Ethernet?
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

Yes, both are wired connected (UTP).
Same as it was before. Only thing that has been changed in the configuration is the router.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That is quite strange, assuming that they are both connected to an internal switch in the router. That's the way routers usually are set up, and that means that traffic can flow between the ports without actually "going through" the routing engine. That also means that the router configuration shouldn't matter, it shouldn't be able to interfere with the traffic between the switch ports.

I guess this router could be different and that it doesn't have an internal switch, but that sounds very unusual to me. I guess it could also have some kind of filtering that drops multicast packets. UPnP relies on IP multicast for discovery, so when discovery doesn't work it's usually because something in the network is blocking multicast - but switches, unlike routers, will normally allow multicast traffic to pass unhindered.

It could be as simple as different IP addresses. Please make sure that your UMS computer and your renderer(s) are on the same IP subnet. You can see what constitutes a "subnet" by using an IP calculator: http://www.subnet-calculator.com/
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

It looks like I solved the problem.
What I did was the following:
I opened the setting: Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Media streaming options
There I had to enter a name for the Windows media server, so I entered some name (I named it WINPC).
I checked my Sangean media player and the UMS server name (including it's shared folders) was visible again, and also the just created test server WINPC.
In de "Media streaming options" I removed the test server WINPC again (cleared the edit box and saved the changes).

Now, the UMS server is still visible, and the test server (WINPC) is gone.

Don't know what was the exact reason why the UMS server didn't show up, until I launched a temporary Windows test media server.
Anyway, everything is working now. Hope it stays this way.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It sounds like the problem was in the Windows firewall. When you enable Windows' "media sharing", Windows will open this in the firewall (I think they call it SSDP). It's probably left open even after you've removed it. What is strange is why this would change when you changed the router..