[SOLVED] Can't see UMS from ANY Android device

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cyberfux

[SOLVED] Can't see UMS from ANY Android device

Post by cyberfux »

After updating Windows 10 to 1909 i'm no longer able to see UMS from any android device.

I can effortless connect from my Linux-notebook via VLC or the webinterface so it is definitely no general Windows problem as i first feared.

Devices:
Windows 10 1909 - UMS 9.4.1
Windows 10 tablet - works
Linux notebook - works
Android 9 smartphone - can't see UMS
Android whatever Fire HD - can't see UMS
Android whatever Fire TV Stick - can't see UMS

i already uninstalled UMS and did a clean reinstall just to be safe.

I'm fearing i'm not seeing the wood for the trees...

edit:
Yep, it was the trees...

The PEEP Windows Defender firewall exception for the program was suddenly insufficient, i had to add an exception for the port (5001)...
Eisen

Re: [SOLVED] Can't see UMS from ANY Android device

Post by Eisen »

I'm having the same problem, figured it would be a firewall problem, checked and it seemed alright... Green checkmark, make sure it wasn't my phone try again, nothing over and over. So now I've tried allowing all connections (TCP and UDP) to port 5001, tried allowing all connections to UMS as well, and that hasn't gotten me anywhere, and unfortunately that is my extent of firewall/ port knowledge. Do you think you'd be able to explain what you did in a bit more detail?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Before wrestling too much with Windows Defender, try to disable it completely and see if that solves the problem. That way, you don't have to waste your time and effort on "barking up the wrong tree".
Eisen

Post by Eisen »

Good thinking, Nadahar, thanks.

Disabled it and still nothing shows up on my androids unfortunately... :/ Disabled Defender Firewall and Antivirus, still nothing.
This is after a fresh installation of UMS with default settings, reinstalltion of VLC on android, installation of BubbleUPNP, and years prior of it working with no problems...

I'm stumped.

Any other ideas?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Usually, this is down to one of three things:
  1. Firewall
  2. Network configuration where the server and the renderers aren't on the same IP subnet, often because the wireless and the wired networks are separate (routed)
  3. UMS' auto selection of network interface "fails". The code can't actually know which interface is the one you want, so it just picks the first one that adheres to certain criteria. The solution is to manually configure which network interface to use on the "General" tab.