Hot to get PCM stereo 2.0 output only?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Rhialto

Hot to get PCM stereo 2.0 output only?

Post by Rhialto »

When I stream to my Panasonic TV model GT50, I don't want the sound from the TV and the only way to send audio to an old receiver with RCA inputs only is by using the optical out of TV with a DAC because the TV has no RCA outputs. I've tried many settings but cannot get it to work

audio_channels = 2
audio_use_pcm = true
audio_resample = false
encoded_audio_passthrough = true

The DAC I've bought is this one, it says it only supports Uncompressed 2-channel LPCM / PCM Digital Audio Signal Output.

I'm about to return the DAC because I cannot get it to work, unless you come with some suggestions.
Nadahar

Re: Hot to get PCM stereo 2.0 output only?

Post by Nadahar »

That would mean that you would have to make it transcode everything that doesn't already have LPCM sound (and that's very rare since it's uncompressed). But despite this, I wouldn't be too convinced that it would work. The big question is how the TV use the optical output - isn't the "standard behavior" to only send AC3 signals to optical outputs? I don't really know, but I would be skeptical if the TV would pass LPCM on to this port even if UMS sent you a file transcoded to LPCM.

You need a renderer that lets you control where the sound goes, without that it's hard to see how you can do anything other than using the TV speakers.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Then would you suggest me to try this model instead which support Dolby AC-3 DTS 5.1ch Digital Audio Decoding? I've Googled quite a bit and cannot find much info about Optical out and DLNA so all I can do is trial/error.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I really have no idea, it all depends on what your TV does internally as I see it. If you can't find some documentation that states what it does/how the optical output works, it's very hard to see how to proceed. It's not at all certain that you can get any output on the optical out using DLNA at all. Before buying anything, I would try to borrow or get hold of something that you know can process pretty much anything going out that optical port and then see under which conditions what is outputted.