No playback controls when using Chrome Web UI

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
xMWJ

No playback controls when using Chrome Web UI

Post by xMWJ »

Hi,

I've always used UMS on my TV and consoles so I've never had an issue with things like rewinding/fastforwarding while watching files. I'm now trying to use the Web Interface on my laptop to watch on that, while hosting from my desktop. I can access the files and watch them fine but I can't seem to find a way of enabling these playback controls on here. There is a slight preview of a scrub bar after I click play but then it disappears after the episode starts playing.

I am using Ffmpeg transcoding to enable the correct subtitles on my anime, if that means anything. Have attached my TRACE logs of me loading up an episode, and my view of the HTML player and the preview of the bar.

Thanks for any assistance that can be provided.
Attachments
Brief preview of the playback bar while the episode is loading
Brief preview of the playback bar while the episode is loading
bar.png (386.06 KiB) Viewed 3901 times
View of the HTML player
View of the HTML player
web player.png (492.06 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
ums_dbg.zip
trace logs
(113.52 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
mik_s

Re: No playback controls when using Chrome Web UI

Post by mik_s »

Unfortunately that is one of the downsides of transcoding. the file is being converted in real-time and sent straight out over the network, but there is no way of knowing what the total size of the file will be to work out how long the file is. Some renderers can handle that properly but some like the webplayer can't

I like to think of it as watching a livestream, you can't jump forward if it hasn't happened. and as the player thinks it is a normal file it is not keeping what it has already played in memory there is nothing to rewind to either.

Watching on your TV or console is less of a problem as I'm guessing those are being streamed and the renderer is handling the displaying the subs.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
xMWJ

Post by xMWJ »

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the help. Do you know if there is a better way to watch the files from my laptop then, say using VLC as a renderer somehow?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Not sure. Its not something I use but maybe windows media player can, there is a config for it but don't know how to set it up. VLC should do the job but I have no experience with it.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

VLC works kind of half-good. Kodi on the other hand works very well. I haven't tested the later versions of Kodi, since when v17 came out a lot was broken in the UPnP/DLNA support. So, I'm still using Kodi 16.1, which works very well as a "renderer" except for watching still images - but that's not that big a deal for me.