[Solved] PC 'Stuttering' after UMS running for a while

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: PC 'Stuttering' after UMS running for a while

Post by Nadahar »

As you said, most things looks good in the log file. I do however see something I find somewhat unusual:

Code: Select all

TRACE 2020-04-27 02:29:04.202 [UPNP-AliveMessageSender] net.pms.network.UPNPHelper Setting SSDP network interface: name:eth2 (Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet)
There are quite a lot of these, and I have read many such logs in my time. I can't remember having seen this. It also looks to me like it receives an unusual amount of UPnP "NOTIFY" messages. These are part of the UPnP discovery protocol (SSDP), and one theory could be that UPnP/SSDP interface is constantly being reset, resulting in UMS broadcasting its presence and receiving replies much too often.

That said, I don't have any good explanation of why this would happen. It must be said that I haven't run UMS since 6.x, so there might have been some new bugs introduced since then. I am also doubtful to whether such a bug and the resulting traffic would be enough to cause the behavior you describe. I would think that it would take much more than that, but it's hard to know exactly what such a network interface initialization potentially might include on the OS level. If a socket is reserved each time, it's possible that significant OS resources would be used for this, but I still find it somewhat unlikely.

Except for this, I really don't have any good idea of what might be causing this. I would try a much older version and see if the problem is the same, preferably 6.x or 7.x. With these versions you also need to have Java installed, which could solve some potential issues between Windows Defender (or other such "scanners") and Java.
BlackHamster

Post by BlackHamster »

I just registered an account on here for the sole purpose to say that I have the exact same problem as speckledegg, literally all of the same symptoms and it's also been going on for the last couple of weeks as well. Like him I've used UMS for years and never had this problem.

You wouldn't believe the amount of diagnostic tools I've installed to find out what's wrong with my PC. All with the same result, all of my hardware is fine.

For me it's gotten so bad, that I constantly have to reboot my PC, but after an hour or so after running UMS it's completely fucked again.
Sometimes it's so bad I can't even move the mouse cursor at all anymore and I have to reboot by pressing the power button on the PC.

I hope a solution comes with one of the next updates. This is unbearable.
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

Okay, so I'm glad it's not just me! It seems like something has changed in the last few weeks then... and perhaps it was just coincidence that it happened around the time I switched to Windows 10.

It would be useful to know which version you are using BlackHamster, and if anything else has change about your system in the past few weeks...

I'm going to try an older version and see if that stops the problem, but there is clearly something amiss.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It sounds like it's a bigger issue then, either something changed in Windows 10 or something changed in UMS. Trying an older version of UMS is probably the easiest route ;)
BlackHamster

Post by BlackHamster »

I haven't installed the newest version of UMS yet, I'm on 9.4.1 right now, but I think the problem came with 9.4.0.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro Version 1909, but I've been using Windows 10 for a long time, so I don't think the problem's with Windows 10 unless the problem came with one of the most recent Windows updates.

My PC is a Intel Core i7-3770 and I have 16 GB RAM, in case that's of any help.

I can't think of anything else that I've recently changed with my system around the same time the problem's arose.
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

I've got back to 9.2 and so far, so good. I'm going to leave it on for a while and see how it goes. It would be interesting to see if 9.2 solves your problem too.
BlackHamster

Post by BlackHamster »

I will try and let you know tomorrow.
BlackHamster

Post by BlackHamster »

Switching to 9.2 did not fix the problem for me. :(
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

No, it didn't solve mine either although it is significantly improved. I've not had the severe stuttering on the mouse etc, but the audio is still fecked.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I think you should try much older versions, before Java was embedded with UMS - but that would require you to have Java 8 installed.