All music files starting with letter "T" go wrong

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
JDN165

All music files starting with letter "T" go wrong

Post by JDN165 »

I have a strange problem that I've noticed yet (but maybe it exists longer). It's a little hard to explain, but I will try...

My music library consists of a large amount of FLAC-files, and are on a hard disk of 4TB. This harddisk has a folder \Music that is defined as a shared folder in UMS.
Under the folder \Music there are 26 subfolders \A, \B, \C, etc. Under these subfolders there are subfolders of the artists starting with that letter.
For example, \Music\C\Camel, \Music\G\Genesis, etc.

I can browse the artists in this directory structure perfectly in a music player connected to UMS, except for the folder \Music\T. When I choose the letter "T" no artists are shown, but again letters are shown from A to Z. And when I select any of these letters, only subfolders are displayed that begin with "The ", followed by the letter I choose. When I select first the letter "T" I have to choose again a letter and then, when I choose for example "P", I can select only artist the begin with "The P", like e.g. "The Police". There's no way I can select an artist like e.g. "Tangerine Dream" because it doesn't start with "The".

I tried several settings in UMS, like "ignore article 'a' and 'the' while sorting" and "minimum item limit before using A-Z folders" but everything under subfolder "T" remains invisible, except for subfolders starting with "The ".

Anyone has an idea?
Nadahar

Re: All music files starting with letter "T" go wrong

Post by Nadahar »

It sounds like a bug, either in your renderer or UMS. I'd say chances are 90% UMS and 10% renderer. Have you tried this with more than one renderer?
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

I found the problem.

It is indeed the value specified in "Minimum item limit before using A-Z folders". And - important - it's not sufficient to change the value and select the button "Restart server". You have to shutdown UMS, wait a little, and relaunch it. I increased the value from 100 to 1000, shut down en relaunced UMS, and browsing the subfolder "T" works correct now.

When I change back the value to 100 (and shutdown and relaunch UMS) the problem is back: selecting subfolder "T" results in letters again, where selecting a <letter> in turn shows only the subfolders starting with "The <letter>".

Seems as a bug to me (maybe in conjunction with the "Ignore article 'a' and 'the' while sorting" - didn't test that), but my problem is gone when I specify a value of 1000.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Yes, it definitely sounds like a bug. It will be interesting to see if a developer cares enough to fix it.