Flawed & Useless!

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AnnieBody

Flawed & Useless!

Post by AnnieBody »

Any software that does not allow the user to make changes, particularly those suggested elsewhere is not fit for purpose.
So why doesn't UMS allow for changes to be made?
Is it broken? Will it ever work?
ums_dbg.zip
(27.96 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
mik_s

Re: Flawed & Useless!

Post by mik_s »

That log looked strange, full of NUL characters. @Nadahar what do you think?
some interesting lines

Code: Select all

WARN  2020-05-03 11:35:38.046 [main] Could not rename "C:\ProgramData\UMS\debug.log" to "C:\ProgramData\UMS\debug.log.prev"

DEBUG 2020-05-03 11:35:38.555 [main] Database connection error, retrying in 10 seconds
DEBUG 2020-05-03 11:35:48.562 [main] Failed to show database connection error message, probably because GUI is not initialized yet. Error was {}

DEBUG 2020-05-03 11:35:48.562 [main] 
org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLNonTransientConnectionException: Database may be already in use: null. Possible solutions: close all other connection(s); use the server mode [90020-200]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The file is locked: nio:C:/ProgramData/UMS/database/medias.mv.db [1.4.200/7]

ERROR 2020-05-03 11:35:48.570 [main] Database was not initialized.

ERROR 2020-05-03 11:35:49.438 [main] FATAL ERROR: Unable to bind web interface on port: 9001, because: Address already in use: bind
INFO  2020-05-03 11:35:49.439 [main] Maybe another process is running or the hostname is wrong.

INFO  2020-05-03 11:35:50.379 [main] Using forced address 192.168.1.100
INFO  2020-05-03 11:35:50.379 [main] Created socket: /192.168.1.100:6000
ERROR 2020-05-03 11:35:50.380 [main] FATAL ERROR: Unable to bind on port: 6000, because: Address already in use: bind
INFO  2020-05-03 11:35:50.380 [main] Maybe another process is running or the hostname is wrong.
Are you only running one instance of UMS or running as a service? It could explain why you can't make any changes if one version is keeping the files locked stopping write access to the other. Check what is running in Task Manager, look for any "javaw.exe" processes. there should be only one. To be on the safe side stop all of them then try running UMS again and
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

This is the result of running multiple instances at once. Both are writing to the same log file, so one have to expect some "corruption" of the content like the "null" characters.
AnnieBody

Post by AnnieBody »

The ONLY solution I found was to completely uninstall then re-install, which gave me further problems: see elsewhere.
And, NO I only had / have one instance running. It did this directly after booting. Now I have other completely unrelated problems that need to be resolved.
After re-installing the log was clear of errors. Now, after reboot it tells me something else is using port 5001, for instance which was clear before installation. I know. I checked!
I assume that after reboot the ports are reserved by Java which then advises it cannot access due to them being reserved... by the very software that is expecting to use them!
So, whatever you select after reboot you are advised the port is taken! See the attached TCP. All the 5001 entries are new to UMS and only appear after installing UMS.
If the software doesn't work directly after installation using the defaults, then there is something that needs to be addressed.
TCP.txt
(57.75 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There's no other way to get the results you had in the log file than to run multiple instances. You have probably clicked "install as service" at one point, which will start UMS as a Windows service. This service will start up automatically with Windows even before you log in to Windows, so it will already be running when you start UMS after booting.

The service option should really be "hidden" because so many users don't know how to use a Windows service. Windows has a separate service manager, which you must use to stop and start services (run "services.msc"). To start UMS as a normal application, you must first stop the UMS service using the service manager. Once that is done, you should select "Uninstall service" in the UMS GUI, since I don't think you really want it running as a service.
AnnieBody

Post by AnnieBody »

There's no other way to get the results you had in the log file than to run multiple instances.

I have proven through another post that I am only running one instance of UMS.
Furthermore, will someone please confirm what the point is in having a setting that UMS does not use?
What is the purpose of the setting 'Only Run One Instance OF UMS'. If this worked then there would never be a reason to assume something that is not happening.
1.jpg
1.jpg (208.81 KiB) Viewed 11662 times
You have probably clicked "install as service" at one point, which will start UMS as a Windows service.
Where is this setting. It is not available in 7.4.2, so how am I supposed to have selected it?

The service option should really be "hidden" because so many users don't know how to use a Windows service.
Yes, it is already hidden, as the above reply confirms.
The UMS service starts automatically with windows by default, so I have to assume the software creators know what they are doing and your response is wrong.

Windows has a separate service manager, which you must use to stop and start services (run "services.msc"). To start UMS as a normal application, you must first stop the UMS service using the service manager. Once that is done, you should select "Uninstall service" in the UMS GUI, since I don't think you really want it running as a service.
No uninstall service option is available.
Tried this. Turning off the UMS service manually stops it working altogether! It needs the service to be running in order to work!

While I appreciate you taking the time to respond and help UMS resolve obvious problems with their operating system, it appears your statements are not based upon the available software options .
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'm sorry to say so, but your own screenshot confirms my suspicion that UMS has been installed as a service. There's a button there that says "Uninstall Windows service". It only appears if UMS is already installed as a service.

Push that button and then reboot your PC. After that, see if things haven't improved..

When it comes to the "Only run one instance" setting, it is flawed and has been so since it was introduced. It doesn't check for a running service, only for running applications. Also, it doesn't actually prevent startup of new instances, instead it abruptly terminates the already running instance if you start a new one. This can lead to corruption of the database and other files held open by UMS at that time, in addition to that the service to the renderers will be terminated equally abrupt.
AnnieBody

Post by AnnieBody »

As confirmed on another post. I did install the windows UMS service, as Serviio needed the service to be running, I thought the same would be for UMS.
I now know UMS doesn't need this service running so have disabled it.
It is now running stable, as expected.
I assume this was the reason replies were advising I had two installs running at the same time. One was the windows service, the other from the task bar.
Thanks for your help.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Good, it was as I suspected from the very start ;)

As said, I think the install service button should be "hidden"/protected so that only users that really want to use it installs it. For most users it just creates endless problems.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Yes it should be hidden or have an extra dialogue box to confirm before being enabled. There is a tooltip message that says it is not recommended and start minimised has the same effect but you need to hover the mouse over the button for a few seconds to see it
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.