UMS & Java Exception

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Dypsis

UMS & Java Exception

Post by Dypsis »

I have been having problems with Java and UMS.
Below is a screenshot of WinCrashReport.

Is this a known issue?

I can attach the full report, if needed.
Nadahar

Re: UMS & Java Exception

Post by Nadahar »

This is not a known issues as far as I know, and there's not really any usable information to dig further in the posted screenshot.
Dypsis

Post by Dypsis »

Attached is the full report.
Attachments
UMS Java Exception Report.txt
(573.33 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Maybe others can make some out of it, but I can't find anything there that tells me anything about what has happened. What is clear, is that the JVM itself has crashed, not UMS (the Java program). This isn't normally possible to achieve from Java itself, but there are a few C libraries that are accessed using JNA (Java Native Access). I can see that both MediaInfo (which is accessed using JNA) and JNA itself are listed in the process list.

This however doesn't give any further hint as to what the problem might be. Has UMS created any log at all? Look in C:\ProgramData\UMS for a file called "debug.log". C:\ProgramData is hidden by default, but if you paste the full path it will show.
Dypsis

Post by Dypsis »

Debug log is attached. 👍
Attachments
debug.log
(618.52 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That was strange - I see that it has been running almost for 2 hours before crashing. Since this was a JVM crash, I was expecting it to happen during startup. This leaves me without pretty much any idea about what might cause it. Has this happened multiple times, or just once?

The log won't capture the actual error, since the JVM crash will prevent the log being written - so we're missing the last milliseconds at least. As such, the only hope is to see what it was doing right before crashing. To have any chance of this, you should enabled "trace mode" logging and leave it running until it crashes. Hopefully the log will then have some more relevant information about the situation immediately before crash.