UMS As Music Library For Sonos

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
MikeHsm

UMS As Music Library For Sonos

Post by MikeHsm »

I am completely new to UMS
I am trying to replace a failed NAS drive as the music library for my Sonos system.
I have installed UMS on a Windows 7 PC and shared the music from a USB drive as d:\Music.
I set the media server name to "MediaServer".
I can see the share from a Windows 10 PC as a "network location" and can navigate to and play music from the shared folder so I'm confident UMS is running OK.
My problem is getting my Sonos to see the shared drive as a library -
Sonos expects the path to the music source to be defined as \\server\share\folder\ .....
I have tried \\MediaServer\Music and \\MediaServer\Share\Music but I'm flying blind as the Sonos is a straight text input field rather than an explorer type view so I'm flying blind.
Can anyone advise what the UMS Music folder would be shared as?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Nadahar

Re: UMS As Music Library For Sonos

Post by Nadahar »

UMS isn't a file server. If all you want to do is to share a folder, Windows can do that for you (you can find instructions online is you don't know how to do that). UMS serves media via UPnP AV/DLNA. I don't know Sonos, but it doesn't sound like it supports UPnP AV/DLNA. The form you describe that the Sonos wants, sounds like a UNC path aka "a normal Windows share" using SMB/CIFS.
MikeHsm

Post by MikeHsm »

Sonos does support UPnP - there is a specific selection in the settings to select this.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

UPnP is a standard that is very broad. The relevant substandard here is "UPnP AV" (Audio Video), so it might support UPnP for other purposes than media playback. I don't know the Sonos, and when I do some searches I find ambiguous information as to whether or not it supports UPnP AV. What I do find is many users complaining that the Sonos doesn't "see" their UPnP AV/DLNA server, but the server "detects" the Sonos. That's not so strange, because the discovery mechanism is common for all of UPnP, so UPnP AV devices will be able to see other UPnP devices whether they support UPnP AV or not. The Sonos can probably see the server too, but there's no reason for the Sonos to list the server if it doesn't support playing from such a server.