Shared Folders Not Updating Bug

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AnnieBody

Shared Folders Not Updating Bug

Post by AnnieBody »

If you create shared folders then amend later (I have added the 'UMS Testing' and 'Test Disk' folders) although the amendment shows in the log, none of my devices can see the new folders.
1.jpg
1.jpg (130.7 KiB) Viewed 6532 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (292.2 KiB) Viewed 6532 times
No amount of turning PC, UMS or devices on an off again works.
The only solution I have found is to uninstall (yet again) then create the shared folder from scratch with the new amendment.
Surely someone must know that having to reinstall (not just for this but for other setting changes too) just isn't practical!
If the log displays the shared folders then the devices should be able to view them. There should be a means to reinitialise UMS with the desired changes.

As a work around, you can move the new shared folder to an existing folder that was in the original list.
Even though you can't see it as folder in its own right, you can view it as sub folder!?
mik_s

Re: Shared Folders Not Updating Bug

Post by mik_s »

Adding new folders to the shared list doesn't always update for my renderer I have found, but restarting UMS will refresh it. you shouldn't need to reboot or reinstall UMS.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I just tested and new folder additions are visible for me if I restart UMS. Please provide logs so we can see why it's not working for you
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I must say that it sounds like AnnieBody is STILL running UMS as a service. That would explain all the strangeness of not updating despite restarting.
AnnieBody

Post by AnnieBody »

Fortunately, I found out about the UMS issue which was giving me loads of problems and reinstalled UMS again without installing it, so this is definitely not a windows service issue:
1.jpg
1.jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
AnnieBody

Post by AnnieBody »

Fortunately, I found out about the UMS issue which was giving me loads of problems and reinstalled UMS again without installing it, so this is definitely not a windows service issue:
1.jpg
Which of my three profile do you want a debug of?
They all behave the same!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Any of them as long as the logs show the bug being reproduced
AnnieBody

Post by AnnieBody »

As discovered, whatever profile you select in the (Select Profile) option, UMS goes ahead and uses invalid and non existent profiles!
This is no doubt where the issue comes from.
Three profiles but all corrupted!

Please remove this function for the time being and explain that UMS only works with one profile, untgil the obvious bug gets fixed.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It seems there is a lot of confusion happening here and in other threads like https://www.universalmediaserver.com/fo ... 670#p41670
I just double-checked and our profiles are working correctly. Profiles are not the same as renderer config files.

This project is really lacking in documentation, we have a lot of it but it's all in different places and the quality is variable. We are working on consolidating it but since we are all volunteers it takes time.