Constantly Reading But Nothing Displayed

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AnnieBody

Constantly Reading But Nothing Displayed

Post by AnnieBody »

Having created a new conf file I find that my TV just wont display any shared folder and as a consequence I am unable to view or play any media at all.
The TV constantly displays 'Reading...'

When I use the standard Viera conf file the TV does read the files (I accept that, according to other posts, this process may take a long time and cannot be rectified).

Any idea why the TV cannot read the media?
ums_dbg.zip
(59.07 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
mik_s

Re: Constantly Reading But Nothing Displayed

Post by mik_s »

There was stuff from the main UMS.conf file in there and for some reason the editor you were using converted tabs to "\\t" which would have confused the matching of supported formats.
I have gone though and tidied it up to make it more readable, removing the unnecessary parts, fixing a few errors and and tweaked the UpnpDetailsSearch to match any model TV of that series incase anyone else has a similar model.
Attachments
Panasonic-GZ Series.conf
(6.31 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks mik_s. If we get confirmation from AnnieBody that it works let's make sure to add it to the program too :)
AnnieBody

Post by AnnieBody »

Thanks for the feedback and assistance mik_s.

My original profile defaulted to the Viera conf file.

I have set up a new profile for the GZ, limited all transcode engines to FFMPEG only and unchecked all the video and audio transcode options in the tabs as per the Viera profile.
This means I normally only get two options in the transcode folder: no transcode and one transcode option (ignoring subtitles for now) and allows me to undertake a direct performance comparison between the conf files.

Initially, I used the Viera default and tested the options I have in my library with no transcoding and transcoding options.
There were some transcoding issues which is why I attempted to create my own conf file.

When I compare the outcome of the Viera to the GZ, as expected, the files all perform the same using no transcode.
The GZ profile however performs badly using transcoding with none of the files playing back compared to the Viera profile.
As this appears to be a common transcoding problem I assume there may be a problem with the conf file, or one or more of the settings I added to my TX conf file may need to be included.
The comparison results are:
1.jpg
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Not quite sure what you mean.

Are files being transcoded when they should be streamed? do they play when selecting no transcoding from the #-TRANSCODE-# folder?
this probably means the supported section is not correct and needs tweaking but will need new logs to see why.

Are the files being transcoded not playing?
This will be a problem with the transcoding settings and will probably take a bit of trial and error to get right.

Is UMS actually using the conf I posted?
Hopefully it should match any in the GZ series. Most Panasonic model numbers start in TX I believe, followed by size (55), series/year code (GZ), and version (950)

I can't see the screenshot you posted, just 1.jpg
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
AnnieBody

Post by AnnieBody »

I mean that when you select no transcoding all of the video options play. Those with DTS or TrueHD don't play audio, as expected.
When you select transcode none of the videos play at all in GZ but some are being transcoded in Viera.
I'll try sending the file again once I can get UMS actually working!

I tested your question regarding the correct profile being used:
Started UMS by using the (Select Profile) option. Select Panasonic GZ Series. The other profiles have been renamed to .xconf so don't get listed and shouldn't be used.
2.jpg
2.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
So I do not for the life of me know why it is selecting an invalid conf file!
3.jpg
3.jpg (135.81 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (99.98 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
I think for now I need instruction as to how to prevent UMS from using a file that does not exist!
Having completely uninstalled and reinstalled four times so far, I am getting more than fed up with this! Clearky there is something being stored, registry perhaps that needs manually removing.
I also need some instruction as to how to install from scratch and select the correct (and only) valid conf file.
As noted before it appears that there is something in the settings that isn't working.
As UMS doesn't want to start with a selected profile, it would appear that it has yet another fundamental bug!
How can I get it to work when it just doesn't want to?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You have mixed up "profile" and "renderer configuration". Both are .conf files, but they have different content. "Profile" means the whole configuration, and you should just forget about starting with "select profile" (that's for advanced use when running several UMS instances with different configuration at once). You should just use the default profile, which is UMS.conf found if in "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\UMS".

Renderer configurations are different, and should be put in the "renderers" folder in UMS' installation folder ("C:\Program Files...").

UMS can only have one "profile" or "main configuration file", but it can have many renderer configuration files.
AnnieBody

Post by AnnieBody »

So, what you are stating is that UMS cannot possibly use a new conf file!

And the default Viera conf file cannot be changed under any circumstances!
And, as I have been advised elsewhere, you should not under any circumstances, run more then one UMS at a time if you expect it to work at all, which is what the profiles option does.
Even though there is an option to stop this happening, UMS ignores this setting. Yet another basic problem that needs resolving.
Why provide an option that you know causes UMS to stop working?

The installation folder is where UMS allows you to install it.
That is where the renderer files are. So what is your problem with this?
Are you now advising that changing the installation folder means that UMS will not work?
Is that where my problem lies? Yet another option which should not be used by anyone, they are just there to confuse users so programmers can feel smug about knowing things that others don't?

Yet again UMS provide options which feedback then notifies shouldn't be used!
Is there anything in this software that can be changed that actually works?
As UMS doesn't allow for the conf files to be changed, how on earth am I supposed to use the conf file you have created?
What is the point in providing me a conf file to test which UMS can never use?

You spend time and effort in attempting to get a new conf file working then shoot me down in flames because you cannot or will not provide any help at all in how the software is supposed to work and how I am supposed to use the files you provide.
Wouldn't everyone's time be better spent if, instead of ripping into me, you actually bothered to explain what was required, in this post, or elsewhere.
I know, and you don't, is the attitude of morons! If you don't want others to use this software then provide a statement advising everyone to f off and use something else instead.
I tried UMS as Serviio no longer supports 4k TVs. Apart from that it works beautifully and you get actual help from those who reply.
It would appear UMS doesn't even support UMS!

Oh well. I tried and failed miserably because of programmers that know, withhold information, and expect others to decipher written software which has absolutely no associated help at all.
That's the trouble with open source, too many changes and no one actually controlling the outcome.
Its a good job your not trying to make money, because with your attitude you would have gone bust long ago!
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I think you have misunderstood what profiles and renderer configs are and you have ended up down a rabbit hole that is hard for us to help you out of, and you have not given the logs that would have let us help.

There are some things from your screenshots I noticed:
The install directory is not what it should be, it is "C:\internet\Universal Media Server\" when it is usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\"

you have used the "customise this device" when clicking on the renderer icon, this creates a new config that overides any existing config for that device only, and that file is stored in the "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\UMS" directory. eg from my tv

Code: Select all

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Custom Device profile
# See DefaultRenderer.conf for descriptions of all possible renderer options
# and UMS.conf for program options.

# Options in this file override the default settings for the specific [TV]Mik's TV device(s) listed below.
# Specify devices by uuid (or address if no uuid), separated by commas if more than one.

Device = uuid:0c845881-00d2-1000-9438-f47b5ebe1def
New renderer configs should be copied to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers" directory for them to be seen by UMS. If it is possible for more than one config to match when detecting your renderer then the first will be used unless a higher priority has been given.

Forget about profiles and running multiple instances/as a service. That is for advanced users who may want to separate servers e.g. private and public and with different profiles they can run together without conflict. running more than one with the same profile causes problems.

It would be best to fully uninstall UMS, goto the "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\UMS" directory and delete everything and reinstall from scratch using default location and options, selecting "clean install" to make sure.
Copy the config I made to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers"
Only set the shared folders and don't touch anything else
Test on your TV to see if UMS shows up and see if files play then post logs so we can figure out any other issues.

We are trying out best but calling us morons for your misunderstanding is not helping. Nobody else has had the issues that you are having.
I am not a programmer, have nothing to do with UMS. I'm mainly here to get rid of the spam on the forum but will help with things when I can if it is a similar problem I have had myself or seen someone else have before. I have been using UMS for years while is was just PS3mediaserver and have never had any serious issues. Yes there are bugs but it is not a bug when the issue is BKAC. We haven't been ripping into you, nor are we the ones with the attitude.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Well said mik_s.

AnnieBody: I don't know what to say, I've tried to explain multiple issues to you, and you keep misunderstanding pretty much every explanation I give. As I see it, that leaves two possibilities: I'm terrible at explaining, or you are terrible at listening. I can't know which it is, but if my explanation is the problem, then please point out what is unclear and wait for an answer instead of just making assumptions that turns out to be completely wrong. If you can't do that, there's nothing much I, nor anybody else I suspect, can do.

I think you can find the answer to many of your issues if you simple re-read what has already been written, a bit slower this time.