[Solved] UMS no longer shows on my device

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AtotehZ

[Solved] UMS no longer shows on my device

Post by AtotehZ »

Hello,

UMS has worked perfect for me so far, but suddenly it no longer shows on my TV in the source list. The TV still shows every other source, like Chromecast, PS4 and Cable TV, just not UMS.

I'm not the only person using the TV, but I am the only person using the computer the server runs on. Nothing has been changed. It worked yesterday, now it doesn't.

So far I've tried:
  • Searching for devices on the TV
  • Turning the TV on/off
  • Restarting UMS
  • Closing and starting up UMS again
  • Restarting the PC
  • Restarting the router
  • Checking the cables
What are the common reasons this could happen?
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 293 times
AtotehZ

Re: UMS no longer shows on my device

Post by AtotehZ »

I'm sorry for the impatience, but I thought a clean install of the newest version might be in order.

I've now installed the new version (9.4.3), clean install, and it still doesn't work.

I've also noticed that it doesn't appear on my tablet either. I could usually find UMS on both my tablet's file browser and inside VLC's network play menus. No more.

EDIT: Added a debug file for the new install. Dunno if the comparison matters.
Attachments
ums_dbg_clean_9.4.3.zip
(83.25 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Last edited by AtotehZ on Mon May 25, 2020 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Windows: Firewall rules changed (either manually or by software/update), network interface driver updated so that the network card enumeration order has changed.

All OS: Running software VPN client, router configuration changed or router "confused" (should be eliminated since you've restarted the router).

In your case it seems it's because UMS is set to "auto select" the network interface, and it picks the VPN network (169.254.57.70) instead of what assumably is your local networl (192.168.1.100). In addition it seems that you might be running multiple instances of UMS, or that some other software is bound to port 9001, since UMS can't bind to port 9001.

edit: Reinstalling doesn't actually solve anything in 98% of cases.
AtotehZ

Post by AtotehZ »

Nadahar wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:46 am Windows: Firewall rules changed (either manually or by software/update), network interface driver updated so that the network card enumeration order has changed.

All OS: Running software VPN client, router configuration changed or router "confused" (should be eliminated since you've restarted the router).

In your case it seems it's because UMS is set to "auto select" the network interface, and it picks the VPN network (169.254.57.70) instead of what assumably is your local networl (192.168.1.100). In addition it seems that you might be running multiple instances of UMS, or that some other software is bound to port 9001, since UMS can't bind to port 9001.

edit: Reinstalling doesn't actually solve anything in 98% of cases.
Thanks, love you for that comment :) Actually the only thing that has changed is that I had to restart the computer and some Windows updates were installed, so it makes sense.

Does that mean forwarding some ports will do the trick? Should it be in windows or in the router?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

No, sorry, I don't think you quite understand the problem. No port forwarding is necessary or appropriate for UMS, that's only when you wants to share something from your computer with the Internet.

For whatever reason UMS chooses your VPN "virtual adapter" as the network interface to use. That means that only other devices on your "VPN network" (which hopefully is only the server in the other end of the tunnel) can see UMS. You need to configure UMS to use your physical network card on the "General" tab (by specifying IP address or network interface). It that doesn't solve it, you need to disconnect your VPN before starting UMS.
AtotehZ

Post by AtotehZ »

Maybe you'd be willing to help me with the network settings, or direct me to a thread that concerns the recommended changes after the windows update? I'm pretty beat after a 12h shift, my head needs a break.

My computer IP is 192.168.1.100
Shouldn't the server IP be the same as that since it's on my computer?
Last edited by AtotehZ on Mon May 25, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The last paragraph of my previous post tells you exactly what to do:
Nadahar wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:55 am You need to configure UMS to use your physical network card on the "General" tab (by specifying IP address or network interface). It that doesn't solve it, you need to disconnect your VPN before starting UMS.
AtotehZ

Post by AtotehZ »

I think I got it, let me test it out and I'll report back. I just didn't think it would be possible for it to choose a VPN as standard.
AtotehZ

Post by AtotehZ »

Done. Thanks :) It's up again.
AtotehZ

Post by AtotehZ »

@Nadahar

Hey man, thanks for helping me out yesterday. I was absolutely knackered and had a kid asking me why he couldn't watch his cartoons. I just needed help.

Thanks for putting up with me :) Reading back I don't understand how it took me so long to understand, but I guess a lack of sleep can do that.

Cheers ;)