[Solved] UMS wont run as a service

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Gabriel

Re: UMS wont run as a service

Post by Gabriel »

SubJunk wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 pm Sorry for the spam but I have made another test file with more improvements. It works for me but I don't know if it fixes this problem you have since I can't reproduce that. Please try it: https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... ller-2.exe
The changes are:
- The installer stops the existing service if it is running
- The installer starts the service if the checkbox is enabled at the end and the service is installed, instead of starting the GUI
- The installer does not try to start the GUI on computer startup if the service is installed
- The program GUI warns about using it as a GUI when it is already installed as a service
- The service uses our bundled Java instead of the system one
Hello SubJunk,

thank you for the new testversion. All the time I has thought by myself, that it works even so, that the wrapper.exe is using the UMS own JRE Bibliothek. But actually I can't download it. Please can you have a look for it, I'm very interested in using this Version also for future because we don't Need a further JRE Installation on the Server. Thank you very much.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Sorry, I had a mistake in the URL. The right one is https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... ller-2.exe
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

SubJunk wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 pm Sorry, I had a mistake in the URL. The right one is https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... ller-2.exe
Hey SubJunk, thank you very much, it seem's to work now :-). First I've uninstalled the servcie of UMS9.7.0. and after then UMS 9.7.0. itself and further on JRE 8 251. Next step was ton install the above linked testversion, configured with the application via GUI, closed the application and startet the Service and - it works. Great …
I think ist the right way to make the Service undependent from additional JRE Versions, it will get a more predictable behaviour. I will test netxt days and will report it here.

Have a nice day, bye.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks Gabriel, we will do the release for this update soon.
bits

Re: [Solved] UMS wont run as a service

Post by bits »

On Windows 10 with UMS 9.7.2 you need to add an Inbound firewall rule for:

%ProgramFiles% (x86)\Universal Media Server\jre14\bin\java.exe

And if you want to limit things more you can specify only for TCP on 5001 and 9001.

UMS services can be running as Local system account or you can specify a user if you want but that isnt required.