[Solved] UMS Stopped Working on both PS3 and PS4

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
geraltciri1861

[Solved] UMS Stopped Working on both PS3 and PS4

Post by geraltciri1861 »

Hi there -

As the subject line indicates, UMS has suddenly refused to see either my PS4 or PS3 after I have used it for years. (I use a wired connection the PS3 more often, since I have experienced less lag on it and fewer issues in general.)

While I would sometimes use an older version in the past, even that didn't work so I ultimately removed ALL versions and did a clean install of the latest version from scratch to see if that was the cause. Still nothing. I'm not sure what may be at play. Yes, I suspended my firewall/protection entirely to see if that helped in case a recent update was the cause (it was not; I'm on ESET Internet Security for the record). I HAVE, I admit, stopped several Windows-based privacy-related programs, but even restoring those did not seem to help.

I hope someone can assist a bit. I am attaching the log, as specified.

Thanks very much ahead of time for any assistance!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(41.01 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
mik_s

Re: UMS Stopped Working on both PS3 and PS4

Post by mik_s »

Looks like the default network interface has been changed, probably due to an update. the one being used appears to be a vpn tunnel at a guess

Code: Select all

TRACE 2020-05-28 14:32:08.869 [main] net.pms.network.UPNPHelper Setting SSDP network interface: name:net5 (Nlwt Tun)
TRACE 2020-05-28 14:32:08.914 [main] net.pms.network.UPNPHelper Sending message from multicast socket on network interface: name:net5 (Nlwt Tun)
TRACE 2020-05-28 14:32:08.914 [main] net.pms.network.UPNPHelper Multicast socket is on interface address: /169.254.--.-- and local port 1900
In General settings tab under network settings, change "Force networking on interface" to your physical network interface which looks to be "Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)"
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
geraltciri1861

Post by geraltciri1861 »

Wow! Thank you SO much for the quick response and help, @mik_s! That worked like magic! I have NO idea why/how that would have changed or what I would have done to cause it to change before I did the re-install, so I apologize if that was something that should have been obvious to me. It's just that UMS has always seemed to work on its own before with little intervention on my part.

Again, thank you VERY much. I hope that you and your loved ones are all safe and healthy during these crazy times. Please feel free to mark as "solved." :D
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

No problems. :D
UMS usually does a pretty good job of picking the right interface, but sometimes it can fail if something has been updated and changed the order they are listed.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Actually, this is down to pure luck. What UMS does is that it has certain criteria that an interface must fulfill to be a candidate, like having a valid IPv4 address, not being a loopback and some other things, and then it simply picks the first candidate. The reason this "often" works, is that the physical network card is usually installed before the virtual ones, so the one you want are more likely to be first in the list. However, since Windows 10 updates seems to have a habit of replacing network card drivers and thus disturbing the order in which they are listed, this has been a common problem in later years.

The problem is that there aren't really any good clues as to what network interface is "the right one" in the very limited information available form Java. So, after excluding those you know it's not, it's hard to find any reasonable algorithm for figuring out which one is "the best candidate".