Weird pixalation/tear with transcoding

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Arc ッ

Weird pixalation/tear with transcoding

Post by Arc ッ »

Hello!

So recently I've been experienced like green pixalation/tear in the black levels of movies when I play with FFmpeg, AviSynth/FFmpeg, MEncoder, AviSynth/MEncoder, tsmuxer, No transcoding and the normal videofile that exist before I even enter the transcode folder. I'm usually playing 1080p files with .mkv h264 on a Toshiba TV through DLNA which always worked before. I have tried different containers like .mkv, .mp4 .webm, different resolutions and video files. Every transcode option seems to make the dark parts of the video go crazy and the brightness go over bright and the whole monitor starts to flicker. Here's a quick example image of how it kinda looks like.

Except if I play the movie with the last VLC transcode engine it works fine and everything works as it should although it's a bit blocky/pixalted for some reason, but 100% watchable. If I played a movie with lets say FFmpeg and the screen goes bright/flicker it stays stuck on the monitor even when I exit the movie back into the folder in the TV menu, then if I start to play it with VLC transcode it "repairs" the screen an brings it back to normal.

The TV works fine with normal use without UMS, as well with my chromecast so I don't believe the screen has anything to do with it. The reason I want to fix this is that the subs don't always work with the VLC option and that the other engines don't have that blocky/pixel look that VLC coding results in.

What might be causing all this? Is there any option I need to change? :?

(I have the latest and a clean install of v.9.8.0 on a Win10 64-bit PC).

Kind regards
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Weird pixalation/tear with transcoding

Post by SubJunk »

Hi Arc, is there a previous version of UMS that does not have this problem?
Arc ッ

Post by Arc ッ »

Hi! Yes this didn't use to happen so I will downgrade, try with v.8.2.0 from over a year ago and see what happens. Can I run two different versions at the same time to compare (different HDDs will be used)?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

You can install them one after another but no UMS can't have two instances at a time on the same computer
Arc ッ

Post by Arc ッ »

Hi again! So I tried with the v.8.2.0 and it looks the same. 😕 I also tried with a .avi videofile and that worked with all transcoding engines so it's seems .mkv and .mp4 is causing some issues. There is no point to rollback further on UMS versions I believe, since the issue is definitely newer than from a year ago. What are the differences between all transcoding options vs. VLC one? Could there be an issue with the ffmpeg coding?

My guess is the ffmpeg might be "broken", could I download the lastest 64bit build of ffmpeg (https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/) and just replace it with the "ffmpeg" that's inside the UMS installation folder?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Yes you can replace the FFmpeg with any version, please let me know if that helps. You may need to rename it to "ffmpeg64.exe" if you're on 64-bit OS
Arc ッ

Post by Arc ッ »

Good, I will try that. I also tried with Jellyfin a different DLNA server software, it unfortunately had the same issue except .avi which seem to work fine there too. Yes of course I will let you know if it it helps with swapping ffmpeg. Also is there any other "third party" software/engine that UMS works together with on a PC that might causing this?

A perhaps unrelated issue but I tried playing some videofiles on my PS3 but it says "Data not supported" on the files inside the "transcode" folder and the one outside too. These files has been working fine previously but not now, so something is definitely up. 🤔
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Are you able to check if those files work on your PS3 in that previous version of UMS?
Arc ッ

Post by Arc ッ »

So I removed the older version and tried the newest version of UMS on my PS3 again and now it seems to work. Not sure if it "repaired" something somehow. But I also did some other things like unticked "Force default render" under option because it looked like it was locked to "Unkown render" and I updated the local ffmpeg verison that shows when I check CMD, the previous one before was from like 2018/19.

However the other codecs on my TV keeps look broken, only VLC engine that's works okay but it seems to default english subs even tho I have set my native language as first in "Sub priority settings", "Forced Language" and "Audio/sub language priority". The english sub is even 2nd on the list when I open the file normally in VLC on PC, but when I UMS with VLC engine to my TV the english auto loads and my other language is presented on top of that (please note that with ffmpeg, mencoder it displays only my native language sub like I want but it's unwatchable due to the other issue).
Arc ッ

Post by Arc ッ »

Arc ッ wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:18 am However the other codecs on my TV keeps look broken, only VLC engine that's works okay but it seems to default english subs even tho I have set my native language as first in "Sub priority settings", "Forced Language" and "Audio/sub language priority". The english sub is even 2nd on the list when I open the file normally in VLC on PC, but when I UMS with VLC engine to my TV the english auto loads and my other language is presented on top of that (please note that with ffmpeg, mencoder it displays only my native language sub like I want but it's unwatchable due to the other issue).
I took a screenshot of my settings if it helps, any suggestions would be very appreciated because having double subtitles at once is. 🥴
(I have no external subs in the movie folder.)
sub-set.PNG
sub-set.PNG (18.03 KiB) Viewed 7303 times