tsMuxeR - when to use it?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cesedy

tsMuxeR - when to use it?

Post by cesedy »

Hi.
I have been trying to understand what is tsMuxeR, when to use it and what are the benefits of it.

By searching in Google and in UMS Help page, I understand that it is sending a video and audio separate to the renderer.
But what I did not find was - what are the benefits? And when do I use it?

Video files I am playing are in different formats - mkv/avi/mp4/...

My main renderer is Panasonic-VieraET60. And through HDMI ARC is connected a Sony HT-CT390 soundbar, which support LPCM, DTS-HD and DOLBY-TrueHD.
Here are supported video/audio formats by the TV:
From Panasonic web-site:

Code: Select all

AVCHD 3D/Progressive
SD-VIDEO/AVI/MKV/WMV/MP4/M4v/FLV/3GPP/VRO/VOB/TS/PS
MP3/AAC/WMA/FLAC/WAV
JPEG/MPO
From Panasonic-VieraET60.conf file in UMS renderers folder:

Code: Select all

# Supported video formats:
Supported = f:3gp|3g2   v:h264               a:aac-lc|he-aac                        m:video/3gpp
Supported = f:flv       v:h264               a:aac-lc|mp3                           m:video/x-flv
Supported = f:mkv       v:h264|mpeg1|mpeg2   a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dts|eac3|mp3|mpa   m:video/x-matroska
Supported = f:mp4       v:h264|mpeg1|mpeg2   a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|eac3|mp3|mpa       m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mpegps    v:h264|mpeg1|mpeg2   a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|lpcm|mp3|mpa       m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mpegts    v:h264|mpeg1|mpeg2   a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dts|mp3|mpa        m:video/mpeg

# Supported audio formats:
Supported = f:m4a    m:audio/x-m4a   a:(?!alac).+
Supported = f:flac   m:audio/flac
Supported = f:mp3    m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:wav    m:audio/wav
Other renderers are PS4 and an Android Box with Kodi.

So, with my setup, do I need to enable tsMuxeR, will I benefit from it?

Thank you.
cesedy

Re: tsMuxeR - when to use it?

Post by cesedy »

So.. no one knows when to use it?
Nadahar

Re: tsMuxeR - when to use it?

Post by Nadahar »

It's "complicated". I certainly don't remember all the details, but in short, it lets you remux the existing streams into a MPEG-TS file, which is supported on anything that supports DLNA, since it's kind of the "core" format in the standard.

This means that it's very "light" (as compared to actually transcoding) while retaining the original quality. FFmpeg can do the same, at least in most cases, but there used to be some compatibility issues with FFmpeg's TS output (something with timestamps I think). This meant that some renderers would play it, while others wouldn't.

If this is still the case, I have no idea. FFmpeg might have raised the quality of their output in the meanwhile, or they might not. Because of this problem, UMS didn't use to use FFmpeg for remuxing, only for transcoding (where FFmpeg "created" the streams instead of copying them). For some reason, the problem with FFmpeg was only there when only muxing AFAIU. I know that this has changed on some of the most recent versions, but I have no idea if that means that FFmpeg is fixed or not.

So, in short, if you don't need/want to just remux when possible, as opposed to a full transcoding, or if you do, but the FFmpeg output works fine for your device(s), then you don't need tsMuxeR.