Troubleshoots with Samsung 7 Series and UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
esirot

Troubleshoots with Samsung 7 Series and UMS

Post by esirot »

Hi,

I should probably state first that i'm French (so i might miss very technical terms), and this is my first experience with UMS (i used an old UPnP server for a long time).
I bought a brand new Samsung 7 Series screen, and i'm trying to read videos from computer on it, through local ethernet network. I did default install of UMS 9.8.0 and gave it the directory where video files are.

Now, when i turn the TV on, i can see the UMS on TV among the sources, but when i select it, it "crashes" and goes back to sources menu (first problem).

After some times, and loading others sources (like the box media server), i manage to load an access to UMS. I can see my video files, but when i select most of them, it crashes and i get an error like "an unexpected error occured", and it goes to the next file until it can read one. I also noticed that most of the files it can't read are shown as "Format: mpeg", while the ones that read are others (mp4, x-matroska,...).

I joined my log files, hoping it will help solves the second problem (first one didn't occured while catching logs).

Thank you for your help.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2020-08-18-15-49.zip
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 280 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Troubleshoots with Samsung 7 Series and UMS

Post by SubJunk »

Hi esirot, welcome to the forum. The logs are good but I need to know: which files failed to play?
esirot

Post by esirot »

Well, i tried many, but that may not be helping. I remember trying at least these ones that didn't work :

- Jojo.Rabbit.2019.MULTi.1080p.HDLight.x264.AC3-TOXIC.mkv
- Pet.Sematary.2019.MULTi.TRUEFRENCH.1080p.HDLight.x264.AC3-EXTREME.mkv
- Les.Huit.Salopards.2016.French.1080p.Bluray.HDLight.x264.AC3-BlackA.mkv
- Escape Room (2019).MULTi.VF2.2160p.10bit.4KLight.WEB.HDR10.BluRay.x265.AC3.5.1.Portos.mkv
- Fantasy.Island.2020.UNRATED.MULTi.VFF.1080p.mHD.x264.AC3-XSHD.mkv
- La La Land (2016) MULTi VF2 [1080p] BluRay x264-PopHD.mkv

But really most of the files i tried.
From what I remember, only those two managed to play :

- Christ(off).2018.FRENCH.1080p.WEB-DL.x264-EXTREME.mkv
- L.Amour.Est.Une.Fete.2018.VFF.1080p.mHD.WEB-DL.x264.AC3-ViGi.mp4

For extra testing, i tried my other Samsung TV (which is a UE55JU6800, same network), and many of those who failed on 7 Series played fine on UE55JU6800 (maybe one failed).
If it's worth mentioning, all files read successfully on computer through VLC.

Thanks for your help ! Let me know if i can produce any extra logs, or anything.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's generally easier if you narrow it down as much as possible, so that it's possible for the person reading the log to get some overview. I would suggest making a new log file where you only play one file that works and one that doesn't. Then specify which worked and which didn't when you post the logfile. Don't try other renderers etc while making this log file, keep it as narrow as possible.

There might be multiple problems at play, but they must be broken down and taken care of one by on anyway, so identifying just one problem is still as useful even if there should turn out to be multiple.