LAN Adapter issue Intel vs Aquantia; resolved.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
d30305

LAN Adapter issue Intel vs Aquantia; resolved.

Post by d30305 »

Hello All,

I actually figured out my issue but since I wasn't able to find anything in the forum, I figured I'd mention it in case anyone else had something similar going on.

I got a new MB ( ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI) ) that has two LAN adapters; one being Intel and the other being Aquantia AQC111C 5GbE.

UMS had worked without any issue on my downstairs Fire Stick using VLC, but the upstairs Fire Stick had issues with only being able to see directories and not showing any media files regardless of what program I used. It said please add media to the directory despite media being there and being visible on the other Fire Stick.

The upstairs had always been sort of wonky so when I installed my new motherboard I wasn't too surprised to have an issue but I wasn't able to track down anything despite fiddling with the settings and changing Wifi networks, etc etc. The only difference between the two Fire Sticks that I found was that downstairs (the working one) was connected via CAT6 and the upstairs was Wifi. So I switched the sticks and discovered that the Fire Sticks would only work with UMS when connected via the cable, and not with Wifi.

Turns out that the client would only work with UMS via WIFI when the computer hosting the server was connected with the Intel adapter. Aquantia would work for the device that was connected with a network cable, but never worked fully over Wifi.
Nadahar

Re: LAN Adapter issue Intel vs Aquantia; resolved.

Post by Nadahar »

I don't think this has anything to do with your network adapters, this is most likely a "network topology issue". UPnP AV/DLNA relies on multicast, so they will only work on the same IP subnet unless you manage to correctly configure multicast routing between subnets (I've never gotten this to work, although in theory it should be possible). UMS will bind to one of your network interfaces (you can configure which one), which means that it's only available to renderers connected to that adapter.

You can get this working on both wired and wireless networks if you have a wireless router configured in "bridge"/"transparent"/"AP" mode. If it's behaving as a router, it won't work since the multicast packets won't be forwarded. It sound to me like you use your motherboard as the "router" between the two networks, and I don't know if it's at all possible to make this work. It would require one of the network adapters to be configured as a "bridge" without its own IP etc. If you have a WiFi router, configure it to "bridge" and it should work. Otherwise, I think you're out of luck with that setup.
d30305

Post by d30305 »

I've only one subnet. If I did have different subnets, wouldn't UMS not be visible at all to the client connected by wireless? I was still able to see UMS on the network and was able to get directory info from it but VLC wouldn't show any files.

Aside from one test, I didn't have both adapters plugged into the switch at the same time and I did manually set UMS to the various interface options but that didn't change the functioning of the WIFI fire stick. What led me to believe it had something to do with the adapters was when I did connect both adapters to the switch at once and set UMS to use Intel adapter, which then worked. I tried the same with the Aquantia adapter and it didn't work. I unplugged the cables, reset interface setting in UMS, then plugged the cable into each adapter separately to test them again.

Still, I don't know the proper cause of the issue, but using the Intel adapter allows both fire sticks to work. My speeds are the same regardless of which adapter I use, so Intel adapter it is.

I'll try to reproduce the problem later and post a trace log.

edit: also everything has manually set IPs.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't quite understand your network configuration. You should not have two interfaces with two different IPs in the same subnet on the same computer, it will surely cause confusion. Is there a Wifi router involved at all, or are you attempting to make your PC "route" between the wired and the wireless networks? That won't work properly unless you assign them to different subnets and manually creates routes, or if you install some kind of "router software" that can handle all this for you.
d30305

Post by d30305 »

The motherboard just happens to have two NICs. One is typically turned off and does not have a cable connecting it to the network.

My PC running UMS connects wired to the ports on the back of the router/( Asus AC68U ). Router provides Wifi as well.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I understand that the motherboard has multiple NIC's - that's not uncommon. What I don't quite get is how you have configured it. If you configure only one of the NICs with an IP in the subnet in question, connects that NIC to the router and then configures the router to "bridge" the WiFi and the cabled networks, it should work from both wired and wireless devices. If you configure both NICs with IPs in the same subnet, you're likely to experience "strangeness" as there might be ambiguity. Example: If a service binds to 0.0.0.0 ("all interfaces"), receives a request and then replies, it will only reply from one NIC. That might not actually be the nick that received the message, and confusion could arise.
LoriNagle

Post by LoriNagle »

Hello...I've been having this fairly bizarre organization availability issues on one of my PC's... in any case, before I have a go at clarifying the entirety of my ethernet drivers are cutting-edge and I'm on the most recent form of Windows 10.

This board has both an Aquantia 5G LAN port and an Intel I211 Gigabit LAN port, in which I am utilizing the last mentioned. Presently, commonly it is possible that one will work yet for reasons unknown a few things work and others don't.

pcb quote