UMS 10.0.0 - Problem with TV Show Episode File Names.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
REB

UMS 10.0.0 - Problem with TV Show Episode File Names.

Post by REB »

Hi,

I was using V9.8.3 successfully to stream my TV series and movies to my TV and when V10 was released, I updated my installation.

Afterwards, I found that I could not see my TV Series Episodes on my TV's media player (Panasonic 55HZ1500B). I could go into the individual series and seasons, but no episode titles/files appeared. It was the same with the Web Interface - no episode files.

After much pouring over the logs, I found the following line in the full DEBUG Log:

DEBUG 2021-01-15 16:18:34.302 [Library Scanner] Error adding child: "S02E04 - Broken.mkv" java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "java.lang.CharSequence.length()" because "this.text" is null

This was the same for every TV episode. The folder/file naming format is 'TV Series/Season 2/S02E01 - Episode Title.mkv'.

I reinstalled V9.8.3 and everything was working again.

So, with V10 running, after some trial and error moving files around the folder structure, I tried renaming the episode files by removing the 'S02' portion, leaving the episode filename as 'E01 - Episode Title.mkv. This worked, and I was able to see the files on my TV and via the web interface.

So in short it appears that UMS 10.0.0 doesn't like the 'S02' part of the filename.

Update: I've just tried naming the file 'T02E01 - Episode Title' and that works OK. It seems that it is only 'S' followed by a number as the first 2 characters of the filename cause issues.

I have attached the log files for both 9.8.3 and 10.0.0 as per the Problem Reporting Guidelines

ums_10.0.0-dbg_2021-01-15-16-21.zip
UMS 10 Logs
(49.69 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
ums_dbg_9.8.3-2021-01-15-16-28.zip
UMS 9.8.3 Logs
(53.54 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
REB

Re: UMS 10.0.0 - Problem with TV Show Episode File Names.

Post by REB »

Some further investigation reveals that the setting of 'Prettify filenames' appears to be causing the issue.

With the setting disabled (unticked), and a restart of the whole program (not just the server) and the episode files show up in the web interface.

Enable the setting (box ticked), and the problem returns following a complete restart of the program.

I've checked both debug logs and the setting was enabled in both versions when I was testing.

Issue raised on GitHub.