[Solved] Thumbnails, a big mess

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
supermatico

[Solved] Thumbnails, a big mess

Post by supermatico »

Hello, I'm still trying to clear any cache, I don't want any thumbnail preview.

I already read everything and everywhere about that without any successful fix: I still have thumbnails raised from movies from a disconnected HDD (since six months) for movies completely different

I try to reset Media Library, fully uninstall the program, remove manually any remaining folders, clean the registry, install back (clean install) without success

The curiosity is that trouble happen with MKV video and MP3 (yes, I have a video thumbnail preview for the audio files) files only, MPG thumbnails are correctly NOT shown

Off course any setting is disabled (unuseful)
ums_dbg_2021-03-13-20-33.zip
(290.39 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Immagine.png
Immagine.png (84.98 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - JAVA 8 b 351 - ASUS Prime Z270-A (BIOS 1302) - INTEL i5-7600K - NOCTUA NH-D15S - 16Gb RAM GSKILL TRIDENT X DDR4 @ 3600 MHz - GIGABYTE AORUS GTX1080 8Gb - SSD SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 500Gb
Nadahar

Re: Thumbnails, a big mess

Post by Nadahar »

This sounds very strange. I must say that if you have cleared the database (nothing regarding thumbnails is stored in the registry or anywhere else) and you see them for videos not even connected, it seems like a completely different problem. That would mean, as far as I can understand, that you also see thumbnails that doesn't actually belong to the media file in question, since it's not possible to actually browse the content of a disconnected drive.

This only leaves one possibility that I can think of, and that is that you renderer have cached the thumbnails. All media resources are assigned an ID under the rules of UPnP AV. While the UPnP AV standard doesn't require it, it recommends that servers serve the same ID for the same media "forever". UMS doesn't do this, it generates the IDs each time it's started, so they won't stay the same for the same media files. Many renderers seem to assume that the recommendation is followed by all servers, so that your renderer could try to be smart and cache thumbnails based on ID. If so, it will end up showing wrong thumbnails... regardless of many times you uninstall UMS.

The only thing I can think of that could "reset" this is if you delete the UUID specified in your UMS.conf while UMS isn't running. A new one will be generated on the next restart, and this should make your renderer see it as a a "different" server, which means the cached thumbnails for the "old" server wouldn't be relevant. The same problem would repeat itself over time though, but as thumbnails are turned off in UMS it shouldn't have anything to cache.
supermatico

Post by supermatico »

Yess, very strange.
I don't know what you mean about your possible fix, by my side now I
- Cleaned the media library
- Uninstalled UMS
- Manually search any UMS folder(s) left and delete it/them
- Empty the Windows Media Player cache
- Empty the Java cache
- Install back UMS in a different folder (not the predefined one, but always into Program Files)
- Give it just one empty folder to share, just to have time to set everything OFF in the GUI
- Empty the media library again
- Add the MP3 folder and one with some video to share (removing the empty one)

Nothing to do, I have audio files with thumbnails of DC's Legends of Tomorrow and other audio files with thumbnails coming from videos of that drive no more connected since months; the video files instead some MPG has a thumbnail and some one else not, the same is for MKV ones

Thinking to format and reinstall windows again just to fix (or try) this behavior sounds like a nightmare...
Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - JAVA 8 b 351 - ASUS Prime Z270-A (BIOS 1302) - INTEL i5-7600K - NOCTUA NH-D15S - 16Gb RAM GSKILL TRIDENT X DDR4 @ 3600 MHz - GIGABYTE AORUS GTX1080 8Gb - SSD SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 500Gb
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

As I said in the previous post, stop doing all the unnecessary stuff. All this cleaning/uninstalling has no effect, and if you were to format and reinstall Windows you'd probably end up with the same problem after a short while.

You need to edit UMS.conf (found in "C:\ProgramData\UMS" by default, "C:\ProgramData" is hidden by Windows if you haven't changed the default explorer settings). In there you'll find a line "uuid=xxxxxxxxxxxxx". Delete that line and start UMS. Then report back what happens.
supermatico

Post by supermatico »

As I stated, I didn't understand correctly what you suggested to do, and for this kind of troubles where the solution is deep hidden, I must try everything even if unuseful: only reducing the troubleshooting steps you're going to a slightly close solution after each step

Anyway, your suggestion didn't help: the MP3 files are still showed as MPG with thumbnails of any movie, and the other video files are still with thumbnails of no more existing movies
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Ok, then I don't have any idea of what's going on.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

A couple of other things you could try. see if any has an effect
  • Delete the database in C:\ProgramData\UMS\database
  • Delete the whole C:\ProgramData\UMS directory after uninstalling
  • When re-installing make sure "clean install" is checked
If you are still seeing old thumbnails then these are not coming from UMS

My series F Samsung TV used to have a play history as part of the Smart Hub (can't find it now so must have been removed in last update) and would show thumbnails of both old TV programs and whatever was played via network.

It could be that is what you are seeing. Try clearing your viewing history on tour TV. For me the option is in the "smart features" menu.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
supermatico

Post by supermatico »

Hello and tks for your time

In the while I asked to myself "why you don't try to connect back that external HDD where a lot of media files took the thumbnails?"
I supposed this condition could reset the situation, wherever is the problem originated

And it worked! Now I have 99% of media files without thumbnails and very few ones with a correct thumb. I have to see what will happen when I'll disconnect the HDD again, coming soon....
supermatico

Post by supermatico »

Ok, that seemed to be a working solution, finally it is not
The thumbnails start to raise again like before, so, I had a try about on TV solution suggested by mik_s
Unfortunately my RU8000 doesn't let me to clean up the history in the Smart section, I can just remove all devices' connection history, so I decide to proceed with a full TV reset: it worked!

That was a TV "problem", not the UMS one, unbelievable!! Thanks to all for the support!!