Dolby Vision problem on my LG OLED65CX6LA

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jaapie18

Dolby Vision problem on my LG OLED65CX6LA

Post by jaapie18 »

If i try stream a 4k x256 dolby vision video. Im getting stutters or subtitles won't shown any more. I tried wired and wireless. I tried also plex and lg smartware same problems on the same spot. But if i put the video on a usb stick it plays perfectly.
mik_s

Re: Dolby Vision problem on my LG OLED65CX6LA

Post by mik_s »

UMS is probably transcoding that file because it thinks your TV doesn't support that format (Some LG TVs don't support DTS any more for example) which can cause stuttering on 4k due to extra CPU power needed and available network bandwidth.

It is also possible that some formats only play correctly over USB and not the network. Test this by going to the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and select "No Transcoding". If the file plays correctly then a simple tweak of the conf file will tell UMS that it can just stream that format.

Will need log files to know exactly what you need to change though, see the section in red above.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
jaapie18

Post by jaapie18 »

I have tried that "No Transcoding" it does the same after 5-6 min its gets stutters. I have attached the log.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-04-03-17-49.zip
(42.98 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I don't see anything being played in that log so don't know anything about that file.

However, you saying that the file plays from USB but struggles to play without transcoding from UMS suggests that it could be a network speed problem, and playing that file could be maxing it out. I don't know what sort of speed is needed to play 4k but your log shows an estimated network speed of 69.07008 Mb/s (nice :lol: ) to your TV which may be too low. This is probably confirmed by having the same issue with other servers.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
jaapie18

Post by jaapie18 »

Its a webdl if look in the mediainfo of the file. Its had a total bitrate of 22,4 Mb/s. The movies with dolbyvision gives always problems at 5-6 minutes in the movie. I ahve have the same problem if i use a usb to gigabit adapter. Ums saids it has a speed of 150.0736 Mb/s
jaapie18

Post by jaapie18 »

If I convert a movie with Dolby vision which its stuttering. I converted with this command and the stutter is gone.

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy -strict unofficial output.mp4

Why doesn't always work directly without conversion?
zer69

Post by zer69 »

Try to cast the file directly (if you have Windows). Do you have the same problem?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-09-03 114130.png
Screenshot 2022-09-03 114130.png (17.63 KiB) Viewed 1998 times