UMS detects renderer on its own IP address

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
elwexo

UMS detects renderer on its own IP address

Post by elwexo »

Here's a problem which started several releases ago but I've been working around. I have a Sony Bravia on a static IP 10.1.1.55, with UMS running on a Windows desktop with static IP 10.1.1.2. My UMS version is 10.2 which I know is a couple of dot revisions behind, but nothing in the release notes for the later releases looked like it would resolve this issue so I've not worried about upgrading yet.

If my TV/renderer is on when I start UMS, the TV is "detected" in UMS as having the IP address of the UMS server. The TV doesn't "see" the server. If I power cycle the TV with UMS running, then after 30 seconds or so it is detected on the correct IP and the TV can browse the server. The workaround is easy enough; it just means getting out of my sofa to turn the TV off/on at the wall and waiting a little while :lol:

I have "Default renderer when automatic detection fails" set to my Bravia, so it's possible UMS is detecting a running service such as VLC on its own IP and reporting that as the Bravia, in which case the root cause might be something about the actual TV only announcing itself/looking for a server when it powers up. Yet the TV has had the same firmware for several years and I don't recall changing anything on my network.

It's more a curiosity than a bother so I figure I'd report it out of interest mostly. Logs are attached.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-05-06-19-41.zip
(292.93 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
boss

Re: UMS detects renderer on its own IP address

Post by boss »

I think it could be your UMS.conf file.
network_interface =eth2 #Is your LAN on eth2 (maybe try a space after the =. EG: = eth2)
hostname =10.1.1.2 #An IP address doesn't go there. For now just make it: hostname =
I am not sure for windows as I use linux but I am wondering about this: (try putting a space after all the commas as well)
folders =E:\\Video\\TV\\-- view --,E:\\Video\\TV,E:\\Video\\Movies,E:\\Downloads\\Vuze
and
folders_monitored =E:\\Video\\TV\\-- view --,E:\\Video\\TV,E:\\Video\\Movies,E:\\Downloads\\Vuze