UMS 10.5 cannot delete Web entries in shared content tab

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Orion940

UMS 10.5 cannot delete Web entries in shared content tab

Post by Orion940 »

Greetings,

I just put 10.5 in and I noticed that deleting the entries in the Web portion of the Shared Content tab will empty the list out, but it gets repopulated immediately. These entries cause the Web folder to show, which I do not want.

This worked for me in the prior release (deleting the Web entries and not showing empty folders). How else can I stop the Web folder from appearing or cause the Web entries to stay deleted? I included the zip file as requested.

Thanks in advance.

O.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-05-11-14-38.zip
(131.4 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
tanwedar

Re: UMS 10.5 cannot delete Web entries in shared content tab

Post by tanwedar »

This was annoying me too and after searching a while I went with a brute way. First close UMS. Then go to C:\ProgramData\UMS (ProgramData is a hidden folder). Edit WEB.conf in a text editor and remove the lines that have entries for image/video/audio feeds not the whole contents. I suggest keep and comment one of each type to save as examples. Save the file. After doing this, right click on the file and click properties. Go to the Security tab, Advanced, Disable inheritance (if it says Enable just ignore this and the next step), Convert inherited permissions. At the top to the right of the owner if it doesn't say Administrators click Change set it to Administrators. The users listed should be, Users, SYSTEM, and Administrators. Double click on SYSTEM and only leave Read and Read & Execute. Repeat for Users. This locks it so if the program is running under your account (non-service way I believe) or as SYSTEM (what it runs as when a service), it cannot edit the file and re-add the entries. UMS shouldn't ever need to run as Administrator AFAIK. Start the program/service. On the top of the log window when UMS starts and you should see lines like:

Code: Select all

16:04:10 INFO  Web configuration file: C:\ProgramData\UMS\WEB.conf
16:04:10 INFO  Web configuration file permissions: -r-x
This will let you know if you edited the right file and the permissions stuck. If for some reason UMS starts throwing a fit and stops working just change permissions back by clicking Enable inheritance where you clicked Disable before and click Ok. I'm not sure if you need to change the permissions, but I like to deny the ability for changes to be made. If you want to add stuff later you'll need to close the program, change permissions back, make changes by hand or in program, then set the file to read-only again.

Please note I am not affiliated with UMS nor am I giving official support for Microsoft so any changes you make to your system are your own choice and I am not responsible for any frowning, frustration, keyboard smashing, or problems you may have as a result. If you are happy with results I will accept credit though ;)