no renderers found

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
nmharleyrider

no renderers found

Post by nmharleyrider »

This is not a new issue for me nor for many users over the last ten years. After a new UMS version or a Windows update and sometimes for no reason at all I do not see my renders on my Smart TV or on the UMS status tab. I have reported this many, many times to no avail. One day it works and the next it does not. I simply do not understand why in 2021 users are put thru this nonsense as if we are all technical gurus. I'm not, having only been programming computers since 1965 and teaching computer operations for many years. What should I do? I'm attaching my latest log file although it's ridiculous to make users do that. I installed Kodi and Plex and the both worked immediately on my TV so I know it is possible to make UMS more user friendly from an install and testing standpoint. I'm sure all the real gurus out there enjoy this stuff but at 82 years old I do not have time for this nonsense. At any rate, now that vented I hope someone can actually solve this problem. I am using a brand new Windows pro PC so there should not be any extraneous stuff on it. HELP!!!
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-06-07-08-43.zip
(149.46 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Nadahar

Re: no renderers found

Post by Nadahar »

I haven't looked at your log, but from your description it sounds like the problem is UMS' "auto detect" of which network interface to use. If you configure it to use a particular network interface or IP address (General tab -> Network) you should be rid of this problem once and for all. Basically, UMS is trying to "guess" which one to use, and that often doesn't work out to well. Windows updates will often "shuffle" the order of the network interfaces, making UMS end up with a different choice.

The thing is that it's not possible to determine which of the network interfaces is "the desirable one", so what UMS does is to exclude those network interfaces that have some indication that they shouldn't be picked, and then simply pick the first one of those that remain. The order in which the OS lists them is therefore part of the outcome.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I can see in your log that UMS is unable to use port 1900 as it is already in use

Code: Select all

ERROR 2021-06-05 16:47:21.835 [main] Unable to bind multicast socket to port: 1900, which means that UMS will not automatically appear on your renderer! This usually means that another program occupies the port. Please stop the UMS and the other program to free up the port and start the UMS again.
ERROR 2021-06-05 16:47:21.835 [main] A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: Cannot bind
You might have another program using that port.
Another cause I have seen is if UMS is already running (as a service) when you start the GUI which causes conflict, but I don't think that is happening here.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

ConnorVaughan wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:35 am Dealing with fraud, illegal activity, planning, managing human resources, compliance, operating facilities, financial forecasting, and strategic planning are some of the everyday issues veterans deal with on a daily basis.
I assume you're in the fraud business then..
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Nadahar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:34 am
ConnorVaughan wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:35 am Dealing with fraud, illegal activity, planning, managing human resources, compliance, operating facilities, financial forecasting, and strategic planning are some of the everyday issues veterans deal with on a daily basis.
I assume you're in the fraud business then..
Nah just the spam business :lol:
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

mik_s wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:03 am Nah just the spam business :lol:
Potayto potahto...