[Solved] Everthing was working....until it wasn't again (PS3 and PS4)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
geraltciri1861

[Solved] Everthing was working....until it wasn't again (PS3 and PS4)

Post by geraltciri1861 »

Hi Folks -

Well, almost exactly one year after my last cry for help, I have another situation...but different in what occurs.

I use both a wired connection to my PS3 and a wireless one to PS4. (I have always preferred PS3's media player to PS4's....it's always been more reliable.) Things were working fine about 2 weeks ago, but PS3 just had an update, and obviously both PS4 and Windows PCs (Win 10) have had multiple updates over the past year. Basically:

-PS3 now lags, slowly finding folders, and when it finally opens one, it spits out DNLA protocol error (2006) has occurred, and if I wait a bit it will ultimately say "There are no images" or "There is no playable media." Oddly, sometimes a TRANSCODE folder appears and sometimes it doesn't. An older forum entry indicated moving the Transcode preference to MEncoder may help, but it did not. Before, PS3 almost always worked...either on the "main" video or, at the very least, one of the transcoded ones. Images appeared lickety-split.

-PS4; same issue, basically. It always moved a bit slower (including for images), but it would work.

Soooo, I updated the UMS from version 9.8.1 that I had (where the error started occurring) to the current version, hoping that would help. I also noticed my Java was out of date, so I updated that, as well. Same issue occurred.

I am still using ESET Internet Security as I was last year, but last year's issue was an erroneous selection of the networking device. (Then again, last year it wouldn't even find the media server. My issue NOW is that it finds the media server just fine--and the folders I'm sharing--but won't play anything.)

As requested, I am attaching the ZIP file of the TRACE logs. I hope a mind brighter than mine can spot something my aging brain cannot. I have LOVED using UMS for many years and hope this is just a weird update/user error issue.

Thanks for any assistance ahead of time!
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-06-13-14-38.zip
(184.62 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
mik_s

Re: Everthing was working....until it wasn't again (PS3 and PS4)

Post by mik_s »

I see a lot of database related errors in your log, It could have been corrupted or possibly UMS is already running (maybe as a service) and using the database when you start UMS again which can cause these issues.

Code: Select all

DEBUG 2021-06-13 14:28:32.600 [main] net.pms.dlna.DLNAMediaDatabase Database connection error, retrying in 10 seconds
DEBUG 2021-06-13 14:28:52.942 [main] net.pms.dlna.DLNAMediaDatabase Failed to show database connection error message, probably because GUI is not initialized yet. Error was {}
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.getWindowAncestor(SwingUtilities.java:137)
	at net.pms.dlna.DLNAMediaDatabase.init(DLNAMediaDatabase.java:253)
	at net.pms.PMS.getDatabase(PMS.java:260)
	at net.pms.database.Tables.<clinit>(Tables.java:50)
	at net.pms.PMS.init(PMS.java:437)
	at net.pms.PMS.createInstance(PMS.java:927)
	at net.pms.PMS.main(PMS.java:1093)
DEBUG 2021-06-13 14:28:52.943 [main] net.pms.dlna.DLNAMediaDatabase 
org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLNonTransientConnectionException: File corrupted while reading record: null. Possible solution: use the recovery tool [90030-199]
	at org.h2.message.DbException.getJdbcSQLException(DbException.java:617)
	at org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.done(SessionRemote.java:607)
	at org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.initTransfer(SessionRemote.java:143)
	at org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.connectServer(SessionRemote.java:431)
	at org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.connectEmbeddedOrServer(SessionRemote.java:348)
	at org.h2.jdbc.JdbcConnection.<init>(JdbcConnection.java:169)
	at org.h2.jdbc.JdbcConnection.<init>(JdbcConnection.java:148)
	at org.h2.Driver.connect(Driver.java:69)
	at org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource.getJdbcConnection(JdbcDataSource.java:189)
	at org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource.getXAConnection(JdbcDataSource.java:352)
	at org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource.getPooledConnection(JdbcDataSource.java:384)
	at org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcConnectionPool.getConnectionNow(JdbcConnectionPool.java:234)
	at org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcConnectionPool.getConnection(JdbcConnectionPool.java:199)
	at net.pms.dlna.DLNAMediaDatabase.getConnection(DLNAMediaDatabase.java:203)
	at net.pms.dlna.DLNAMediaDatabase.init(DLNAMediaDatabase.java:248)
	at net.pms.PMS.getDatabase(PMS.java:260)
	at net.pms.database.Tables.<clinit>(Tables.java:50)
DEBUG 2021-06-13 14:28:52.943 [main] net.pms.database.Tables Starting check of database tables
ERROR 2021-06-13 14:29:06.257 [main] net.pms.PMS Database was not initialized.
TRACE 2021-06-13 14:29:06.258 [main] net.pms.PMS Error was: {}
org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLNonTransientConnectionException: File corrupted while reading record: null. Possible solution: use the recovery tool [90030-199]
	at org.h2.message.DbException.getJdbcSQLException(DbException.java:617)
	at org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.done(SessionRemote.java:607)
	at org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.initTransfer(SessionRemote.java:143)
	at org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.connectServer(SessionRemote.java:431)
	at org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.connectEmbeddedOrServer(SessionRemote.java:348)
	at org.h2.jdbc.JdbcConnection.<init>(JdbcConnection.java:169)
	at org.h2.jdbc.JdbcConnection.<init>(JdbcConnection.java:148)
	at org.h2.Driver.connect(Driver.java:69)
	at org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource.getJdbcConnection(JdbcDataSource.java:189)
	at org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource.getXAConnection(JdbcDataSource.java:352)
	at org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource.getPooledConnection(JdbcDataSource.java:384)
	at org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcConnectionPool.getConnectionNow(JdbcConnectionPool.java:234)
	at org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcConnectionPool.getConnection(JdbcConnectionPool.java:199)
	at net.pms.dlna.DLNAMediaDatabase.getConnection(DLNAMediaDatabase.java:203)
	at net.pms.database.Tables.checkTables(Tables.java:70)
Also it cannot use port 9001 which suggests it is already running or another program is using that port.

Code: Select all

ERROR 2021-06-13 14:29:07.348 [main] net.pms.PMS FATAL ERROR: Unable to bind web interface on port: 9001, because: Address already in use: bind
Check Task Manager to make sure there is only one copy of javaw.exe running. if more than one is there, kill the processes then run UMS again.
Can't remember if there is a way to check if running as service in the GUI, but you can type "services" into the windows search bar to run the services app.
check to see if there is any related to UMS. I don't know the exact name of the service but should be obvious if its there and you should be able to stop and disable it.

If it is just that your database has become corrupted for some other reason, you can just rename/delete it and it will be rebuilt next time you run UMS.
the database is located in "C:\ProgramData\UMS\database"

It's unlikely to be anything connected to the update on PS3, last one only updated the blu-ray keys that were about to expire that would have stopped blu-ray movies from playing soon.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
geraltciri1861

Post by geraltciri1861 »

Hi @mik_s -

First of all, I GREATLY appreciate your extremely quick response....especially during what I assume is still the weekend where you live. That is very nice of you.

Regarding your suggestions:

-I checked Task Manager with UMS running, and indeed just one iteration of Java was running. (In fact, I had also earlier downloaded their "remove older versions" tool just to make sure it was clean and nothing had come up with that.)

-Nothing obvious was listed under the Windows services list for UMS.

-Ah, the database. Interesting, because there IS no subfolder called database! I checked D:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server and nothing is there called database or even a file resembling something with an .mdb extension or .sql. (Not sure what it runs.) Hmmmm. Not sure why that would be, since (as you mentioned) even a re-install of UMS like I did should automatically generate that, no? (I installed UMS on D:, of course, rather than C, but I assume that wouldn't change anything. I've always placed it on my D: drive in the past.)

-You also mentioned a potential port conflict with port 9001. I'm not a port expert, but I looked a few things up, and I opened the command line utility and typed the command netstat -ano | find ":9001" after shutting UMS off, and came up with nothing. I started UMS again, ran the same command, and it showed something running on PID 1228 and a check of the Windows Resource Monitor showed that PID 1228 was assigned to....javaw.exe. So, while that told me that indeed UMS was running on port 9001, it did not help with trying to identify any other program that was trying to use that port. (I'm open to other ideas on finding out what's causing a port conflict, though, if anyone is aware of one!)

Thank you again for your suggestions. (I can always do another re-install if you think the lack of a \database folder is the likely culprit.)
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Just happened to check for spam :D

Look for the database in C:\ProgramData\UMS\database
If you can't see that directory you might have to show hidden system folders.

Even if installed on D: drive, program configuration data will be in C:\ProgramData\ or C:\Users\{user}\AppData\ depending on the program. UMS uses the ProgramData directory

Probably easiest to rename the directory to something like database.bak if you don't want to delete it.

Can't help with the port issue, got very little knowledge about networking and you already know more than me tracking down what was using that port. Maybe when you made that log UMS was running twice?
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
geraltciri1861

Post by geraltciri1861 »

@mik_s -

DARN YOU'RE GOOD! It was indeed the database being corrupt and once I renamed the old folder it worked like a charm. It was on the C: drive and was hidden, for the record, as C:\ProgramData . (Of course, you DID say it was in C:\ProgramData the first time, but I cavalierly assumed that it was really in Program Files on my D: drive, so I appreciate the clarification you made. I was already showing hidden directories/files on my PC, so if I did exactly what you said the first time I could have saved us both the added trouble.)

Tell your boss to give you a pay raise! :D OK....I know this is open source, so at least bask in the glory of a job well done. And take it from this old guy with back pain: stop reading email over the weekend, like I did most of my life. It will give you back pain!

Thanks so much again, and obviously feel free to mark solved.