New Update Causing Streaming Crashes

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Cybrex

New Update Causing Streaming Crashes

Post by Cybrex »

Hello all,

I've been using UMS for some years now with relatively little to no issues until today.

I just did the new update and everything has changed. Any attempt at streaming a movie from my desktop to my PS4 now has the movie lagging and eventually crashing after only 5-10 mins of watching. When I come to look at UMS on the Status screen at the bottom where it says "Memory Usage (MB) the grey bar is nearly maxed out and shows numbers in red. In the many years/updates I've never experienced this issue and I've tried to search for an answer on whats causing this to happen and how to resolve it but I've had no luck so far.

I've been trying to watch a movie now for an hour and I'm sure I'm not even 20 mins into it.
Cybrex

Re: New Update Causing Streaming Crashes

Post by Cybrex »

Now its just locking up the stream even with the Memory Usage only halfway up to the max. Can you go back to an old version of the software?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You can download and install any older version that you want. Just make sure to disable the automatic update. You might need to delete the database though, it depends on whether it has changed between the two versions.
Cybrex

Post by Cybrex »

Where do I find older versions? If you click on Download it only shows the most current and no other options?

And sorry, what do you mean delete the database?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You can download older versions here: https://www.fosshub.com/Universal-Media-Server-old.html

Regarding the database, I don't know if it applies, but if it does you can find out how to delete it by searching this forum.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

If you are using windows, the database is located in "C:\ProgramData\UMS". renaming or deleting the database directory will make UMS create a new one.

I think this latest version has doubled the allowed amount of memory used by UMS if there is plenty available to improve efficiency. I think it was originally 1024mb and now it defaults to 2048mb (can't remember exact values) but this can be changed on installation.

If this change is the cause, it may be helpful to the devs if you could post some logs.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.