UMS Using Massive Resources

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
walkngdude

UMS Using Massive Resources

Post by walkngdude »

Hi all
I've been using UMS for a very long time. A bit ago I updated to the current version. Probably because it was acting funny, I don't remember. But for the last few days it has been using an incredible amount of CPU as well as memory. I've uninstall and re-install a few times and even deleted the UMS folder in my programs floder.

I have a desktop machine running:
Windows 10
On an Inter i5-4590
With 16 Gigs of ram

I'm streaming on Ethernet to a PS3

I always shut down everything that I can possibly think on on my PC before watching a movie and usually get the memory down to maybe 26 to 32% and I usually don't have a problem with CPU. But boy I do know.

Last night I re-installed again and I changed the install options a bit and today when I created the log it was acting a little better. I think that before the main user of CPU was something to do with JAVA in my Task Manager. Running at 100% while the movie stutters and stops.

Today it's still running at 93%.
ums_dbg_2021-07-20-13-34.zip
(217.13 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Thanks
Marc
mik_s

Re: UMS Using Massive Resources

Post by mik_s »

Looks like something has happened to corrupt the database as your logs are full of database related errors. Quit UMS and delete/rename the folder "C:\ProgramData\UMS\database" and UMS will rebuild it on restart.

Another cause of the high CPU usage is that the videos you are playing are not compatible with the PS3, that are being transcoded so it can play them. They are also using h256 10bit going by the filenames, which will take more CPU usage than other formats to transcode. If you were playing something supported by the PS3 then there would be little CPU usage.

I have an older version of that CPU and when I'm watching something that needs transcoding it does use nearly 100% to keep up so that is normal.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
walkngdude

Re: UMS Using Massive Resources

Post by walkngdude »

Thanks Mik_s