Image freezes when voice is present in 4k movies

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
eniomarques

Image freezes when voice is present in 4k movies

Post by eniomarques »

Hello guys, I'm with a very strange issue, that I believe might be fixed with a config change...

Suddenly my video started to freeze while playing 4K movies (it was working fine some time ago). At first, I noticed that it was happening when the subtitles were appearing, but after some tests, I noticed it was happening when people were talking during the movie, but in scenes without voice, it works just fine! Maybe a bug with any of the audio channels?

I already tried to reinstall as a clean install, but the problem is still there.

Well, I'm attaching my debug information, hopefully I'll get some answers :)

Thanks a lot!
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-07-22-19-28.zip
(79.21 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
mik_s

Re: Image freezes when voice is present in 4k movies

Post by mik_s »

Looking at your log, UMS is streaming the video so there are no transcoding issues.

I do see that there are forced disconnections made by your TV. I think this may be something to do with it not getting the data in time.

Streaming 4k will take up a lot of network bandwidth but the speed test in your logs show a speed of ~29Mb/s which may be enough for most scenes but when there is a lot happening, the bitrate will rise to above the available network speed and will cause the video to freeze or even stop.
See if you can try a wired connection instead of using wireless.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
eniomarques

Post by eniomarques »

mik_s wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:54 pm Looking at your log, UMS is streaming the video so there are no transcoding issues.

I do see that there are forced disconnections made by your TV. I think this may be something to do with it not getting the data in time.

Streaming 4k will take up a lot of network bandwidth but the speed test in your logs show a speed of ~29Mb/s which may be enough for most scenes but when there is a lot happening, the bitrate will rise to above the available network speed and will cause the video to freeze or even stop.
See if you can try a wired connection instead of using wireless.
Hi mik, thanks for the reply, but I tested with a wired connection that more than doubled the speed and the issue is still present, and in the exact same parts. When the subtitle is enabled, it hangs even when there's no voice, and if I remove the subtitle, it hangs only when there's a voice. I tried to disable the GPU acceleration and the audio settings (like AC-3), but no luck.

I'm attaching the logs from the wired execution, and I also recorded a video that I uploaded to YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xTYrgac4I0

Thanks!
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-07-23-18-13.zip
(71.83 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I'll have a look at your new log later to see if I can see anything, but that effect does seem strange.

From your first log UMS is just streaming the video unaltered, but there were disconnects which I assume is just you TV trying to catch up to slow data but I don't see how subtitles would cause this to happen more.

@Nadahar what do you think? have you seen anything like this before?
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
eniomarques

Post by eniomarques »

Now I'm having the same problem with a non 4k video (The.Boys.S02E01.The.Big.Ride.1080p.AMZN.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv) and it's also an Amazon webrip... I'll try to test with other videos as well.

I tried a clean reinstall, reinstalled AviSynth and my Klite codec pack (not sure if it has ay relation) and got the same result.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-07-25-14-38.zip
(95.36 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

OK I think the problem is definably to do with the subs. I found this was happening quite often

Code: Select all

net.pms.configuration.RendererConfiguration Checking whether the external subtitles format SUBRIP is supported by the renderer
net.pms.configuration.FormatConfiguration External subtitles format "SUBRIP" failed to match support line f:mkv       v:h264|h265                                          a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|eac3|lpcm|mp3|mpa|wma|truehd   m:video/x-mkv
net.pms.configuration.FormatConfiguration But did match a format in the SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats renderer configuration setting
net.pms.configuration.FormatConfiguration Matched support line f:mkv       v:h264|h265                                          a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|eac3|lpcm|mp3|mpa|wma|truehd   m:video/x-mkv
net.pms.network.RequestV2 Using chunked response. Sending 4179001875 bytes.
net.pms.network.RequestV2 Transfer response sent to [TV] Samsung Q6 Series (55) [Samsung Q6 Series]:

HEADER:
  HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content (non-chunked)
  CaptionInfo.sec: http://192.168.15.145:5001/get/87/subtitle0000.srt
  Content-Type: video/x-mkv
  Content-Range: bytes 0-4179001874/4179001875
  ContentFeatures.DLNA.ORG: DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01700000000000000000000000000000
  Accept-Ranges: bytes
  Connection: keep-alive
  Server: Windows_10-amd64-10.0, UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50, UMS/10.8.1
  Content-Length: 4179001875

net.pms.network.RequestHandlerV2 Connection error: java.io.IOException: Foi forçado o cancelamento de uma conexão existente pelo host remoto
net.pms.network.RequestHandlerV2 Premature end, stopping...
It may be that your TV does not support external subtitles in SUBRIP format so doesn't know what to do with them, they are corrupted or UMS is sending them wrong.

There are a few things you can try and see if anything changes

Your logs show that UMS is streaming, but just in case something else is happening try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose "No transcoding"
(if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab)

Try moving the external subs somewhere else so they won't be used. There is a good chance that those have internal subs anyway, and there is a possibility of some conflict.

Try playing directly on your TV with a USB drive, just to eliminate any interference by UMS (with and without external subs)
eniomarques

Post by eniomarques »

Thanks for the guidance! I do not have a USB drive at my disposal to test the TV, but it's definitely something with the subs (even internal).

I tested with the no transcoding option without an extertal sub, and got the same result, as the file contain internal subtitles.

As the problem suddenly started, I tested an older version of UMS too, but it is still happening.

I'm attaching the logs from my 'no transcoding' run, but I believe you will see the same thing.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-07-27-18-56.zip
(166.09 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
eniomarques

Post by eniomarques »

I just downloaded and tested another 4k movie with an internal sub, and it worked fine (Peter Rabbit 2). Stopped it after a few minutes and tested the other 4k movie that I was having problems, and it is still hanging.

I'm attaching the logs and I will also take a look on it to see if there's any difference.

Thanks!
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-07-27-21-02.zip
(86.23 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Ok I'm Stumped. This is one area I know little about, all I can tell is something causing your TV to reset the connection but no idea what. I think this is one for the devs to have a look at.

Only thing I can think of if there might be something your TV does not like in the subs encoding. I know nothing about the Portuguese language but is there letters with accents or symbols not used in English? If the encoding is wrong then those possibly will not be understood by your TV.

Does this only happen when the subs are enabled on your TV? Any different if you turn them off?
eniomarques

Post by eniomarques »

Hi Mik, yeah, Portuguese have accents like é á ã à and ç.

But since those problematic files have a lot of internal subs, maybe some of the other languages are causing it, since choosing a different sub doesn't change the behavior.

Today I tested those files with Plex, and it worked fine, but I have no idea if the process is the same as with UMS. But I don't think it's something with my TV or even with UMS, as it was working fine a few weeks ago.